Head on Beer is "Clumpy"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
So there was no infection in the carboy but I think I may have picked up a bug when the beer went into the keg. The head of the beer sticks together and floats on the surface of the beer and the beer does not smell all that great. It tastes ok but the head and the smell concern me. Anyone ever had this issue? It is an 80 Schilling with Safale-05

An abnormal head is one of the most telling ways to identify an infection, but I wouldn't worry quite yet - first of all, most infections taste just fine, and I've even had a couple of bottle infections that ended up my favorite in the entire batch!
And you may not have an infection after all. How old is the beer? It may just be green and have a lot of yeast left in solution, which can affect the head and the aroma of the beer.

Its about 1 1/2 months old. Problem is I already friged and carb'd it. So I doubt it will change. Hopefully it will

it'll change, my brown ale was very funky, 5 months later in the keg and fridge, it tasted completely different even the guys at the brew shop liked it. all agreed beer was not supposed to taste the way min did. but something happened for the better.

Back