Woodfordes Nog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glen74

Reaction score
Started my first Woodfordes Nog on Thursday and it looks and smells fantastic and ready for bootling tomorrow.
Never thought it was so easy

I've just started my next batch of Woodfordes Wherry now that the Nog has gone into the pressure barrel,I had a sip of the Nog and it has got quite a bitter taste at the moment.
Cant wait to sink the lot:mug:

Well the Nog has been in the pressure barrel for one week today and i decided to go and have a little taste to see how she was doing and to my amazement it is absolutely devine.
I can't belive the outcome and it's got another week to go at the minimum to reach it's full potential,I would strongly advise anyone to give Woodfordes a go.
The wherry has got another couple of days before i bottle it up and i will keep you posted on the outcome

Regards

Glen

The Nog and Wherry turned out very nice and was worth every penny but they've nearly all gone down the hatch now so it's time to start another brew in time for xmas:mug: :mug:

zacmac said:
Glen,
Can you elaborate on what Woodfordes Nog is?
This is the first time I have heard of it and I'm intrigued.

It's very good. It's actually the wort of beer sold to pubs.

woodfordes_nog.gif

Traditionally known for being a strong beer brewed in East Anglia. Norfolk NOG is an excellent example of a strong 'Old' ale
This reddish beer has an initial explosion of roast malt bitterness. This settles down, as a malty sweetness makes its presence felt. Maintains a dominant roast dryness to the end.
Awards:
Champion Old Ale of Britain 1992/93
Supreme Champion Beer of Britain 1992/93

If you look on the back of a Woodfordes kit, you'll see [SIZE=-1]Cedars Maltings, Stowmarket. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]The kits/extract is made by Muntons and have a reputation for stuck fermentations in the UK. There is speculation that the level of nutrients or ballance of fermentable and unfermentable sugars is the problem, particularly as people have tried swtiching the yeast and experienced the same problems.
If it ferments out properly you'll be rewarded with a great beer, if it sticks (usually around 1018) you'll end up with a sweet, cloying often cloudy beer. Sometimes it can be coaxed down to 1015-1014 with gentle rousing and sometimes fresh yeast, other times you may have to resort to using a Dry Beer Enzyme (which I think might be the same as the stuff known as Beano over in the US).

(if you look at Muntons knowelage base, it is a bit limited but there is an example of such a problem there.
[/SIZE]
imgQuestion.gif
Question :
My Conkerwood ale kit has stopped ! It is not bubbling but has not reached gravity for bottling. It is over 2 weeks old and kept quite warm. What can I do ?
imgAnswer.gif
Answer :
There is a few reasons why this could have happend and if you can send me a note of the batch code i will check the yeast and extract we have as a retained sample.

In the mean time you could add another yeast sachet to the brew as this may kick start the fermentation again.)

If anyone encounters such problems this post may prove useful, it also contains links to examples of other such problems http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3523

For those that made the Woodfordes Norfolk Wherry Best Bitter, how long did you let it age in the bottle?

Latest posts

Back