Bottles for Sparkling Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruceb07

Reaction score
I am looking at bottling some sparkling cider and was wondering what type of bottles would be best. I was planning on using some beer bottles but also thought a larger size would also be nice. I have had corks pop with wine bottles and doubt they would be strong enough anyway. I would guess champaign bottles would be best or could the heavy duty wine bottles be used also using champaign corks and wires?

Everything I have ever seen says no no to bottle carbed wine bottles. I myself have been obtaining beer bottles from friends.

ez-caps work fine
beer bottles work fine
champagne bottles corked correctly or with 29mm crown caps work fine
american champagne bottles corked correctly or with standard 26mm crown caps work fine
belgian beer bottles work fine and look awesome :)

wine bottles even with cages won't work.

I use both American Sparkling wine bottles that can take normal crown caps and foreign ones that take the 29mm caps. If you have a standard hand capper, usually you can reverse the plates and buy a 29mm bell. Just make sure if you buy a new bell, that you mark them with sharpies so you know which bell is which.

If you want to find a great source for bottles like that free, check the dumpsters out back of rental/banquet halls on Sunday mornings after the weekend wedding trade. Or if you don't want to check dumpsters, talk to the staff there and ask them to set them aside for you. You should end up with cases of them, especially in the spring and summer during the height of wedding season....or on New Year's Day, which is coming up.

I called a local wine store today, that holds wine tastings, and they gave me a box of champagne/sparkling bottles. They said they have them all the time!!

Winery is a good source for bottles. Ill tell you how I got all the bottles I wanted...

I posted a message on facebook that I was looking for wine bottles and pry off beer bottles. My friends went insane. I managed to end up with 10 cases of wine bottles in two days and two cases of pry offs.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have botted still cider in wine bottles and corks, and sparkling in some beer bottles and champagne bottles with plastic corks and cages. Guess i will see what happens.
Thanks again.

Back