Brewing Quandray

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nparish

Reaction score
I'm looking to start my first batch and need to decide on a recipe. I've realized that I don't like a strong hoppy or wheat flavor or aftertaste. What are some beers that will work?

Search for "Davino's Scottish (carmel) Ale" or "Cream of Three Crops" on this site, they're quite good, and low on hops.

This is akin to asking gearheads what the best cars are.

I'd say you have many great options. Amber. Red. Scottish. Porter. Brown. Stout.

From one 'noob' to another....

The biggest thing to consider for a first brew is turnaround time. This is just my opinion of course, but I can honestly say I'm so glad I picked something simple and quick for a first recipe. I chose the American Wheat from Northern Brewer. I brewed it 4 weeks ago and am now enjoying part of it.

From some of the posts I've read here since I joined a month ago, it seems impatience gets the best of us greenhorn brewers. I know I've had my share of it (still do, but just hide it well. :) ). So to combat that, pick something that's going to have a quick turnaround time and you know it's going to be a flavor you'll also enjoy. Then while you're sipping from that first batch, you can do a second batch that's going to take a bit more time, then the same with the 3rd, 4th, until you get some sort of pipeline established.

My next batch was going to be a Belgian Trippel, but I think I may make my next two brews something I can turnaround in 2 months or less so I have a stockpile established. Not only will those batches give some surplus while the bigger beers are aging, but I will also just have that much more experience under my belt when I do start on the bigger beers.

Hope this helps. Brew on my friend!

Back