Yeast nutrient...anyone use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dregus

Reaction score
Does anyone use yeast nutrient in their starters or in the carbon for fermentation? I thought I had read that you should use it and it has been awhile since I made a starter. I can't remember when to add the nutrient.

Is it even necessary? I am trying to grow enough yeast for a 32 gallon batch from a white labs vile. I plan to create 3 starters, successively larger over three days and ending with a 6 liter yeast starter.

Is this insane?

I add nutrient to my stepped starter, I store my yeast frozen in glycerin solution and my though is that in that condition they need more nutrient than is available in wort for starter.
Never added it to whole batch, there should be plenty of nutrients to keep them healthy.

Nah, I used to, but found I get the exact same results sans-nutrients.

Now I just sprinkle it on my eggs at breakfast. Keeps me going until lunch.

Any time I do a super high gravity batch or I re-use yeast, I use a bit of yeast nutrient. If I was doing a "strained starter" from a bank or capturing from a bottle I would also use it.

Thanks for the input. Does the amount of nutrient matter? Can you use to much? When do you add the nutrient in the process of making the starter?

Shrimpboat said:
Why not make a 5 or 10 gallon batch and use the yeast cake for your larger batch

This is a great idea but I don't have e time to brew the original batch.

I use nutrient made by Wyeast. I prefer it over the urea based LD Carlson nutrient. I don't like putting urine in my beer!

I always toss a quarter teaspoon into my starter while it is boiling. Have never used nutrient in the main batch but I should try it.

I've made starters with and without it and haven't noticed a difference. I've also made full batches with and without it with the same results. It is possible to use too much, especially with the urea based nutrients. However I don't know how much is too much, just follow the instructions and you'll be safe.

I am trying to grow enough yeast for a 32 gallon batch from a white labs vile. I plan to create 3 starters, successively larger over three days and ending with a 6 liter yeast starter.

Is this insane?

In regards to this half of your post:

In three days you might be able to get the proper yeast count but you will need to add the new step each time without decanting.

After it is done I would allow 2 days in the refrigerator to get the yeast to settle so that you can decant.

Have you checked yeastcalc.com to see what you need for the three steps to achieve the proper growth?

I have always used yeast nutrient. Usually I use Wyeast's, but have switched it up and am using Fermax now as well. I think it's cheap insurance - kind of like using rice hulls in the mash. They may not be needed every time, but they are also not going to hurt anything and may reduce stress on the yeast. That said, using pure oxygen to aerate probably makes a much bigger difference in reducing lag times than nutrient does - I used to regularly have lag times in excess of 24 hours, now it's usually down to about 6, even when I do not make a starter.

I make 3-gallon starters for brewpub batches frequently, though I usually start with three or four vials. As someone mentioned, Yeastcalc.com will let you dial in your sequential starters.

I use it in both my starters and for my batches both late during the boil. I usually see fermentation start up a bit sooner when I use it. Seems as when I forget it my fermentations take a bit longer to start up.

ArcaneXor said:
I think it's cheap insurance - kind of like using rice hulls in the mash. They may not be needed every time, but they are also not going to hurt anything and may reduce stress on the yeast.

My thoughts exactly. I once was a 'never used it' person, but my last 4 beers have been excellent and all 4 had it in the batch. Was it THE deciding factor - likely no, but for as cheap as it is per batch, it's good insurance.

I use it when I make mead, since the honey doesn't have sufficient nutrients for a good fermentation.

Same with the other folks that have posted, cheap insurance considering the time, money and effort that goes into each batch.

Maybe it improves it a bit.. maybe not. So very hard to tell with all the variables that go into making beer.

Ironically I posted this thread, the information has been great, and I forgot to add the yeast nutrient to both stages of the process of making both these starters. They are doing good at both stages but I would have liked the added insurance of having the yeast nutrient in the batch.

I think I will definitely be adding it to the boil from now on.

Back