metheglyn, mold? with pic!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xaphoeous

Reaction score
Mead has been in secondary for 6 weeks. 6 inches of head space. What's on top?

ForumRunner_20110611_124741.jpg

Looks normal to me; probably just some yeast. Does the brew smell off or anything else unusual?

concur with mccann51, though a lot of the time, any nasty molds like that have, invariably, bits that trail down into the batch on the underside of the floating bits.

mccann51's alluding to odd smells is also a good guide, as I understand it.....

regards

fatbloke

Thank you. There were no long trails from the bottom, but these didn't look like the yeast I have seen on several batches of ale. We opted to just stop the siphon a little early to avoid getting any of that stuff into bottles.

Thank you. There were no long trails from the bottom, but these didn't look like the yeast I have seen on several batches of ale. We opted to just stop the siphon a little early to avoid getting any of that stuff into bottles.
Well some of these things do look a little different on top of mead batches than they do with beers (various) that I've seen.

Even with batches, that have had some sort of infection, you can often get away with keeping the siphon bend below the levels of "floaters" and it still comes out fine.

Just make sure that the batch has finished it's ferment before you think of bottling. Stabilise it to make doubly sure as you probably don't want to end up with "glass grenades".....

Back