when to grind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barefoot_trashko

Reaction score
If I grind my grain a couple days early can it just be stored in a bag/container as long as the temperature remains fairly cool?

barefoot_trashko said:
If I grind my grain a couple days early can it just be stored in a bag/container as long as the temperature remains fairly cool?

Yep, no problem. Same storage requirements as unground, basically.

Is it best to refrigerate or freeze grains for long term storage? Does it matter if milled or whole?

Is it best to refrigerate or freeze grains for long term storage? Does it matter if milled or whole?

Milled grains will get old faster, though there is some debate about how much quicker. Some people say they can detect staling in milled grains in as little as a week, but in a recent interview one of the head techies for Briess said that ground grains lose only about 10-20% of their shelf-life. If stored properly, whole grains are good for months or more, and I've stored milled grains for similarly long times without a loss in crispness or flavor.

How you store is important though. Cool, dry, and sealed. I am not aware of any real tests on grain freezing, but my intuition is that it isn't a great idea. With roasted coffee, certainly, you wouldn't want to freeze the beans unless you were planning on storing them for a year or more. I suspect that this applies similarly to grains, though I can't be sure.

Is there anything wrong with vacuum sealing small amounts of crushed grain?

Other than the work and the plastic, no down sides I can think of.

The grain has a built in protector which shields it from Oxygen/moisture/heat/light, etc. Once you mill it that is gone and anything you can do to continue that protection is for the better. Unless you had a blast freezer and a way to properly defrost I'd skip the freezing. If you freeze something slowly it can form ice crystals which is bad, I'm sure you've tasted it in ice cream - yuck.

+1 Vacuum seal would be a good way to store it.

Back