Port/Sherry Beer from Radical Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just brewed the Sherry-like beer from Radical Brewing - has anyone else done this and have any experiences they'd like to share?

I have not had the beer from Radical Brewing... care to share your tasting notes? I just put a post up asking for suggestions for a brew that has flavors echoing tawny ports. I'll have to look at the Radical Brewing recipe later tonight.

Jim

I'm curious about this beer as well. Any updates from those who have brewed it? How did the brewing and fermentation go? Any snags along the way? Have you tasted the results?

sorry to tell you but i don't think the OP's gonna answer. she's got 3 posts total and the last one was january2010.

if this is the "toward a portlike beer" then it does look interesting. i guess it's a beer fortified with tons of booz:
- 16 oz 190 proof
- 34 oz 90 proof
- 40 oz 80 proof

that's 90 oz of booz in there! on top of that you've got either 12 lb grain, 11 lbs of liquid extract, 9 lb of DME in 3 gal h20. since there's a two page how to i couldn't image you could screw this up, but wow is it ever over the top. since i just acquired a 3 gal carboy this might be a good experiment for the winter:)

I'm actually bottling this weekend - we shall see.

I'm also a guy.

my apologies, i stand corrected through and thru. i swear your profile said female - very sorry about that. i'm super curious to know how it turns out. what liquor are you going to fortify with? i guess the outcome of this brew could be quite variable depending on the booz you chooz:cross:

No problem about the gender mix up...I've been called much worse.

I actually fortified with some good quality brandy - my notes on what it was and the amount are around here somewhere.

Since I'm bottling this uncarbonated, I wonder if there's such a thing as bottle shock with something like this. If so, how long should I wait to try it?

Since I'm bottling this uncarbonated, I wonder if there's such a thing as bottle shock with something like this. If so, how long should I wait to try it?

I was wondering the same thing. I really haven't a clue, as I've never sampled a bottle within a week or two of bottling. Did you take a taste at all during the bottling process? My gut reaction is, if you aged it a while since the last addition of any ingredients, it might not change too much initially, but I can't say that feeling is any more than a guess. Maybe it's time to experiment and report back on how it tastes each week post bottling! Oh, the slings and arrows we suffer in the name of science!

I just brewed the Sherry-like beer from Radical Brewing - has anyone else done this and have any experiences they'd like to share?

i brewed something similar almost one year ago: 5 liters, 1100 OG, 50 IBU. After primary fermentation I added 200ml alcohol 95% and let at 30°C temperature for 6 months.
when I bottled (no priming) I had some remains, that I put in a smal glass jar: I tasted this remains a couple of months ago (2-3 months after bottling), and the smells clearly reminds maderized wines like port. the taste is very weak, maybe because I compared it to port. it's extremely unstable: if you leave it more than 5 minutes, it smells like beer left in the glasses overnight after a party...

Back