Cold weather yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Our basement is at 59 degrees, are there certain ale yeasts or styles of darker beer that will ferment at 59 that are NOT lagers?

don't forget the fermentation generates some heat, so you are probably ok with most ale yeasts. Rogue ferments at 60 with their pacman yeast so if you can find that you should be more than OK.

I have been using:
Wyeast 1764 Pacman. Recommended temp of 60F by John Maier of Rogue. Had a Dead Guy clone ferment out from 1.055 to 1.008 in 4 days at 60F.
Wyeast 1007 German Ale recommended temp of 55-68F. Been using 55 with great results. Just takes a bit longer, about 10 days for a stable FG.

FWIW, I have a porter fermenting on Pacman under 59. No problems at all.

I've got away with using a Cali Common yeast on several ales without too much of a flavor difference. I've done a couple pale and amber ales with it. Never tried it with anything darker.

I've used Nottingham at 59 degrees, with great results. I've also used some of the other yeast strains already mentioned, like German ale yeast 1007, and Pacman, and of course California lager yeast.

Fermentis gives a recommended fermentation temp for both Safale 04 and 05 from 59-75 degrees f.

If I am going to brew a double IPA in temps ranging from 55-65 what would be a good yeast for this? Right now I have a Safale s-04 that is a dry ale yeast w/ range of 59-75F

Scarbdog said:
If I am going to brew a double IPA in temps ranging from 55-65 what would be a good yeast for this? Right now I have a Safale s-04 that is a dry ale yeast w/ range of 59-75F

Nottingham, I don't rate S04 as a good IPA yeast, too fruity.

My basement has been running 55-57 and I'm not having any problem. Used t-58 us-05 and notti so far and pitching at the hybrid or lager recommendations on mrmalty (so about 1.5 or 2 packs per bucket).

S-04 isn't too fruity at the lower range of its recommended temperatures from what I've read...I'm going to try it out soon too.

I got two batches of Apfelwein going right now in my 59-60 F basement. One batch using Montrachet wine yeast and the other using 3068. I'm cheating and using a "brew belt" with the 3068 batch.

Back