It's still fermenting...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crumb

Reaction score
new to homebrewing in general, and learning as I go so sorry if this sounds like a too newbish of a question

I started a batch of braggot last month (sept 8) and it's still fermenting

half a can of malt extract and 15 lbs of honey, and I don't remember the yeast type (was provided by the ubrew store I go to)

should it still be bubbling away almost 2 months later?
is it ok if I just let it run its course or should I stop the process?

new to homebrewing in general, and learning as I go so sorry if this sounds like a too newbish of a question

I started a batch of braggot last month (sept 8) and it's still fermenting

half a can of malt extract and 15 lbs of honey, and I don't remember the yeast type (was provided by the ubrew store I go to)

should it still be bubbling away almost 2 months later?
is it ok if I just let it run its course or should I stop the process?
It depends on whether you're making a braggot to be wine like or beer like.

Hence I suggest you take a gravity reading to see if its still dropping.

Plus you don't mention any nutrient etc......

beer like
no nutrients

I'm still very much a newb to mead making and learning as I go, and pretty much everything I read on braggots said I could basically combine the two, so that's what I did.
water, honey, malt extract, and yeast... left out hops by choice, and didn't take any gravity readings just for kicks because whatever it was going to be, so be it type of attitude.

beer like
no nutrients

I'm still very much a newb to mead making and learning as I go, and pretty much everything I read on braggots said I could basically combine the two, so that's what I did.
water, honey, malt extract, and yeast... left out hops by choice, and didn't take any gravity readings just for kicks because whatever it was going to be, so be it type of attitude.
Ok, well the chances are, that it's still fermenting then.

The only nutrient will have been from the malt extract, as honey is well known as being devoid of nutrients etc, whereas a beer mash would have it from the grain/extract etc.

I can't say about how easy it might be to move from this stage into a more "beer-like" method, as I don't make beers.

Yet it's worth getting a hydrometer if you don't already have one, to see where the fermentation is at. If you're gonna try to carbonate it some, you'd need some yeast fermentation ability left, so that any priming sugars added can be fermented to produce the desired carbonation.....

I think your braggot has quite high OG that's why it still fermenting.
My ale mead is almost 3 weeks in primary and I keep monitoring it everyday and notice that the fermentation is getting very slow. Because my ale mead is just 1.045 OG so I think 3 week should be done the ferment process then I'll keep it in the primary one more week maybe to let it clear enough and then bottle it with carbonation drop.
As fatbloke said, you should have a hydrometer for your brew it very helpful.

Back