Stand Paint - High Temp Burner Only?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried painting just the area around the burner with the high temp paint and then shooting the rest of the stand with regular paint? If so, where, exactly did you paint with high temp and how did it work out for you?

Just thinking that it'd be cheaper and easier to paint the majority of the stand with regular paint and an actual spray gun and then hit just the areas around the burners with the rattle can(s) of high temp paint.

Obviously it'd be just high temp paint around the burners as putting high temp on top of regular paint is pointless.

Thanks for the info!

Yep, that's what I did. My system is a bit different than most, the mash is all electric, so I only have one burner and it's slightly elevated compared to the rest of the stand. The black is the high temp paint and the silver is regular old paint. The black didn't need to go down as far as it does (only the horizontal portion and the top two or so inches of the frame get really hot) it was just easier to mask off the whole burner portion to paint it.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ghWoIid6uVk/TpH-7vnXY3I/AAAAAAAAAPk/wHydEzZjSFo/s1600/BS1.jpg

perfect!! that's exactly what i was looking for.

so horizontal sections and about 2" of vertical's around the burner you think eh?

perfect!! that's exactly what i was looking for.

so horizontal sections and about 2" of vertical's around the burner you think eh?

Yeah, but it's probably worth testing just to be sure. If your burner is larger in diameter, it might heat the verticals more than mine does. Try assembling your stand enough to fire up a burner (with a pot in place) before you paint it. Give it 15 or 20 minutes to warm up, then take a temp reading in a couple different places. I'd think one of those instant read thermometers would work. Or if you're brave you could use your finger :D You can also tell from the discoloration from heating the metal which parts will get the hottest.

The problem with standard paint is that it's not up to the abuse of a kettle or keggle being drug across it. (been there, done that, repainted the stand...) Some of the hammer finishes are stronger, you might want to check them out.

thanks guys!

i'll test out how far down the heat travels on the verticals.

OHG: the paint where the kettle would be would be the high temp paint. not sure how much abuse it can take, but it certainly wouldn't be the regular paint i plan on using on the non-heated sections of the stand.

Back