why was beer cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

152Sumo

Reaction score
I bottled my pale ale on 3/18. I ended up drinking a bunch last weekend (2 weeks in bottles) and carbonation/head were decent. I know that the beer would be better in another week or two, but... It was cloudy after refrigeration. When looking at the bottle in bright light before refrigeration, it was crystal clear. After pouring, it was cloudy. I did decant properly so it wasn't sediment/yeast from the bottom. Any thoughts? Is it just because it is 'green' yet?
Other than that it tasted fine.

Almost forgot: I did use whirlfloc last few minutes of boil.

Most likely Chill Haze. It occurs after only being chilled for a day or two...Try putting a few in the fridge for a week or more, this should help clear them. I find 2 weeks does a good job.

Most likely Chill Haze. It occurs after only being chilled for a day or two...Try putting a few in the fridge for a week or more, this should help clear them. I find 2 weeks does a good job.

Thanks. That makes sense. I had them in the fridge for about 3 or 4 days. So, if my remaining beer has been in the bottle about 3 weeks, is it okay to let them finish another couple weeks in the fridge, or should I leave at room temp another week or so before chilling?

Thanks. That makes sense. I had them in the fridge for about 3 or 4 days. So, if my remaining beer has been in the bottle about 3 weeks, is it okay to let them finish another couple weeks in the fridge, or should I leave at room temp another week or so before chilling?

I leave any beer I'm not going to drink soon at room temperature. That way I don't miss out on any aging and my fridge isn't full of beer that I'm not going to drink soon. I bring down a six or twelve pack at a time and when it starts to run low I replenish it.

I leave any beer I'm not going to drink soon at room temperature. That way I don't miss out on any aging and my fridge isn't full of beer that I'm not going to drink soon. I bring down a six or twelve pack at a time and when it starts to run low I replenish it.

I'd follow neonsilvers thoughts. I leave all beer outside of fridge to let it keep conditioning until I am going to drink it. I usually don't care too much about clarity unless I'm giving it to others. In which case I plan accordingly. Otherswise if it's just for me I put a few in the fridge in the morning before work and then they are cold for the evening.

I'd follow neonsilvers thoughts. I leave all beer outside of fridge to let it keep conditioning until I am going to drink it. I usually don't care too much about clarity unless I'm giving it to others. In which case I plan accordingly. Otherswise if it's just for me I put a few in the fridge in the morning before work and then they are cold for the evening.

Good enough for me. In fact, I was sharing with a buddy last weekend, and I was more concerned about it than him. He kept reminding me that it tasted fine, why worry about clarity. I was just being paranoid. It tasted fine so that is that.

Thanks for the input all.

Good enough for me. In fact, I was sharing with a buddy last weekend, and I was more concerned about it than him. He kept reminding me that it tasted fine, why worry about clarity. I was just being paranoid. It tasted fine so that is that.

Thanks for the input all.

If you want to double check that it is truly chill haze then leave some of it out long enough to warm up again. If it becomes clear again then you have your answer.

Back