Yuengling Black & Tan Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UNOmar

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to clone Yuengling's Black & Tan? I realize this probably requires 2 batches as it is a mix of their porter and premium (pilsener) beer. I was just wondering if it would make sense to brew a porter, ferment, then rack 50/50 into separate secondaries and start over with the pilsener. I'm not setup to even try anything like this yet (I have 0 Carboys as of now), but would love to clone a Black & Tan in the future.

You've kind of got the right idea...you need to brew a porter/stout and a lager/pale ale and take them both to completion separately, as in bottled/kegged separately. You would then pour the black & tan using a bottle of each (or from the tap).

Now I realize Yuengling bottles theirs as one mixture...if you really wanted to go that route you would still ferment to completion separately (don't mix the batches in the fermenter IMO) and then during bottling put half of each into a bottle.

If you try to mix them in the fermenter, wouldn't they just stratify like they do in a glass? Beats me. I always though b&t's screwed up the flavor of my stout (or my ale, depending on your perspective). :cross: ;)

I don't know about brewing a black and tan rather than just making one the old fashioned way, but i can add that I drank several thousand yuengling lagers in college and it is still my favorite domestic "session" beer.

Ok, so now I'm envisioning 2 bottling buckets with hoses running into a "Y" and then to a bottling wand. I wonder how well that would work to make sure equal portions. I might actually give this a shot sometime. I'm sure the parts could be obtained from Menards/Home Depot.

Don't have a recipe, but I did just get a 12er of YBandT dropped off from a friend that was driving through PA. I love it.

Funny, this is my dad's favorite beer.. I could easily turn him onto some more highend stuff but why.. he is so happy with such a good downhome cheap beer. Myself, I love their lager too.. mmmm plain great no frills beer for the price of clydesdale piss!

My feeling about black and tan's is this... traditionally you pour two beers into one nice, tall pilsner class and end up with two pretty much seperate layers. It is quite tasty.. rich but no so much that you can't have another... it's also a versatile technique for the homebrewer because you need only brew and bottle two batches in order to have 3 different kinds of beer ready to go! But when the black and tan comes premixed it is, in my thinking at least, a medium to light bodied porter. Sure, you could just brew a porter and come pretty close to the black and tan effect but you lose something in the process. If you go to the trouble to brew two batches then at least bottle them seperately - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Next time you're at the bar ask the barkeep to mix up a black and tan with some yuengling and guiness.. see how you feel about the results....

Whatever you chose to do, let me know how it turns out. I'd love to brew a batch for dear old dad. He sure did love it last time I came home with a case of homebrew for him.

Lost said:
Funny, this is my dad's favorite beer.. I could easily turn him onto some more highend stuff but why.. he is so happy with such a good downhome cheap beer. Myself, I love their lager too.. mmmm plain great no frills beer for the price of clydesdale piss!

My feeling about black and tan's is this... traditionally you pour two beers into one nice, tall pilsner class and end up with two pretty much seperate layers. It is quite tasty.. rich but no so much that you can't have another... it's also a versatile technique for the homebrewer because you need only brew and bottle two batches in order to have 3 different kinds of beer ready to go! But when the black and tan comes premixed it is, in my thinking at least, a medium to light bodied porter. Sure, you could just brew a porter and come pretty close to the black and tan effect but you lose something in the process. If you go to the trouble to brew two batches then at least bottle them seperately - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Next time you're at the bar ask the barkeep to mix up a black and tan with some yuengling and guiness.. see how you feel about the results....

I totally agree--make your own black and tans. Buy a cool Brutul to mix them. Lost is right--you'll potentially have 3 good beers around if you don't premix it.

SkewedAle said:
Does anybody have a Yuengling clone recipe?

Instead of trying to brew a lager--I'd go with a nice cream ale recipe--it'll get you very close to a "Yeungling clone" type beer.

Dude said:
I totally agree--make your own black and tans. Buy a cool Brutul to mix them. Lost is right--you'll potentially have 3 good beers around if you don't premix it.
I bought one of those last year from Austin Homebrew to get a marginal order > $60...they're way cool! I never drink b&t's, but the brutul is a cool bottle opener by itself, and I use it to make b&t's at parties as a parlor trick.

merc said:
I need one of those. I could watch the video all night.....
But here is my favorite page... so many ideas

edited to get the proper frame url

LOL...yeah, on my local off-road forum we were coming up with some pretty disgusting ideas one night. And some pretty disgusting names for the disgusting ideas too. :D

wow.. people outside of the Philly area actually know what Yuengling is? Thats fantastic! I am not being sarcastic but was always told that it had never made it out of this area.
I had a(ok maybe a few more than 1) BandT at Olive Garden last night and was thinking of trying something like it once I get more experience.

kevy_kev said:
wow.. people outside of the Philly area actually know what Yuengling is? Thats fantastic! I am not being sarcastic but was always told that it had never made it out of this area.
I had a(ok maybe a few more than 1) BandT at Olive Garden last night and was thinking of trying something like it once I get more experience.

I only know about it because I spent 3 weeks visiting family on the east coast last summer. My sis lives just outside of Philly so we were in prime Yuengling territory. Now I'm sad because I'm back in Omaha with no means of obtaining such a tasty beer.:(

Well, it's all over Florida. I know from experience that it's here in the panhandle as well as in the Tampa bay area. Its funny that you mention Omaha, my dad is from Valley! A couple years ago when we went to see my dad's family we planned to show them that there's more to life than bud, coors, and miller... unfortunately if you live in Nebraska I guess there really isnt anything other than bud, coors, and miller :(

I wonder if Yuengling is available out in California. I'll be in Reno and Lake Tahoe this weekend skiing.. I'll have to check around and report back.

By the way, that Brutul turtle thing is just badass! :cool:

Lost said:
Well, it's all over Florida. I know from experience that it's here in the panhandle as well as in the Tampa bay area. Its funny that you mention Omaha, my dad is from Valley! A couple years ago when we went to see my dad's family we planned to show them that there's more to life than bud, coors, and miller... unfortunately if you live in Nebraska I guess there really isnt anything other than bud, coors, and miller :(

I wonder if Yuengling is available out in California. I'll be in Reno and Lake Tahoe this weekend skiing.. I'll have to check around and report back.

By the way, that Brutul turtle thing is just badass! :cool:

I lived in CA for about 7 years and I never saw any Yeungling's anywhere that I recall.

-walker

Hmmm. For some reason it occured to me on the way home that I have a pretty good APA and a mediocre stout kegged (it started out good, and oddly enough is dropping off :confused:). So here I am drinking black & tans! Still not my thing, but I'll be locked in the pocket by the time SWMBO gets home from her tupperware party!

America's Oldest Brewery!

I'm a PA boy born and raised and this stuff is like gold to the yocals here in PA. I grew up on it. good stuff all around from their line. not thinking my first kegged brews will be a classic pilsner and an irish stout by complete accident. how does one pour a fresh from the tap black and tan?

hmmmm karma is good earl!

I hadn't ever heard of Yeung until I moved to Virginia. It was a nice refreshing change to get that instead of crapweiser at the local joints--until I became a beer snob.

How can the oldest brewery in the US be so obscure?

1820's through today it is family owned and still pumpin' out brew.

the american dream! all in all it is pretty good beer if you are ever up this way try it out.

Down here in Southern Ohio we have to drive across the border on the weekends to pick up a case or two of Yueng to last us the weekend. Its like a cult phenomenon here in Athens, and I can see why.

Also, Dude, what is your recipe for the liquid panty remover? Is it high Alc. level brew or what?

Yuengling is very popular here in NC. Here's what I like about it:
1. Comes in cans...you can bring them to the pool without catching hell.
2. Good training wheel brew for your pals who drink Bud Light and/or other swill.
3. Excellent for par-boiling brats & sausage before throwing them on the barbee.

Jeff

I was poking around the back pages and I found this thread, and had to bump it up, being a Yeungling's fan from way back.

They now have TWO breweries in PA and another in Tampa - thus the Florida availability. The Tampa brewery was bought from Heilemann or something so that Mr. Yeungling, the present patriarch, could have a reason to head south every winter. Pottsville can get pretty cold.

The original brewery is still operating, and I took a tour there a year ago last summer. It is a lot of fun, and of course the samples are terrific. I like the B&T, but I am most partial to Chesterfield Ale.

The company has been family owned for five generations or so, and the way they handle the transfers is that each succeedding owner finances the acquisition and buys out the previous (generation's) owner. Now there are no sons, so there is a chance that the next owner will no longer have the name Yeungling, though of course they will still BE Yeungling.

NFGHOMEBREW.com has a knockoff of it. I don't recall the recipe. It's a partial mash that is a very good knockoff.

Latest posts

Back