Coffee stout recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombeque

Reaction score
Hey all this is my first attempt at a somewhat custom recipe. I wouldnt actually say its mine because its close to others

lb oz
6 8 Maris Otter Malt (Thomas Fawcett) info 37 3 ~
1 8 Oats, Flaked info 37 1 ~
1 0 Milk Sugar (Lactose) info 35 0 ~
0 4 Coffee Malt info 23 150 ~
0 12 Roasted Barley - 550L info 34 550 ~

I was also going to add whole coffee beans to the secondary or keg, whichever I went with, and let them sit til the right amount of coffee flavor is acheived. What do you think?

Sorry, the title should be breakfast stout.

I'd lower the amount of oats, and remove the lactose, but I do like Belgian-style beers for a reason (they're "digestible"---dry). I'd raise the amount of maris otter by the same amount that you lower the oats/lactose, too. I'd also add a bit of darker crystal (80L perhaps).

My oatmeal stout recipe has a distinct "coffee" flavor to it, instead of the traditionally "roasty" stout. I don't use lactose (I dislike sweet things) but I was thinking we could compare our recipes since I use oatmeal as well.

I don't really like the strong roast of roasted barley, since I like the coffee flavored roastiness of Briess black malt instead. I think that is where I get the coffee flavor from, without even using real coffee. I don't even use roasted barley in it, but I think in your recipe 12 ounces might be a bit much if you want a real coffee note.

Here's mine (from this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/yoopers-oatmeal-stout-210376/):

7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 63.64 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.82 %
10.0 oz Chocolate malt (pale) (200.0 SRM) Grain 5.68 %
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
2.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.14 %
2.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 31.6 IBU

1 Pkgs British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335)

The victory malt gives some nice "toasty" notes, while the pale chocolate malt gives great flavor. The flaked barley is for head and head retention. The small amount of crystal malt 80L is for some residual sweetness. Adding lactose to a recipe like this would really be creamy and semi-sweet.

Well, he said coffee stout, not breakfast stout.

I meant breakfast stout, sorry. i thought the oats were high, but Im going for a thick sweetish milk shakey, hearty stout. Would the oats still be too high? I also want to keep this down in abv. Session beer style.

If anyone is interested, ill be brewing this tomorrow. I added 1/2 lbs of flaked barley to the recipe too. Should be thick n tasty. Results to follow!

I'm trying to get a coffee stout together, but your breakfast stout looks like a good idea too. How did it turn out?

I meant breakfast stout, sorry. i thought the oats were high, but Im going for a thick sweetish milk shakey, hearty stout. Would the oats still be too high? I also want to keep this down in abv. Session beer style.

I was going to share mine, as it's a very chocolately coffee roasted RIS.. But it's a 1.100 stout that finishes around 10.5-11ABV, not very sessionable. But it does have the best coffee flavor for ANY beer I've made.

Don't use the beans or the coffee IN THE BOIL.

You will extract harsh tannins from this for sure. Trust me, I've done it.

The best way to add a coffee flavor after the fact is to do this.

Grind your coffee, and cold brew it in the fridge for atleast a day. Filter it. The coffee will have a great flavor without the bitterness and the acrid burnt taste.

Add that at FLAME OUT. Hot enough temp to kill any bacteria, but not enough to boil it any further. 2 cups will be plenty.

I was going to share mine, as it's a very chocolately coffee roasted RIS.. But it's a 1.100 stout that finishes around 10.5-11ABV, not very sessionable. But it does have the best coffee flavor for ANY beer I've made.

Grind your coffee, and cold brew it in the fridge for atleast a day. Filter it. The coffee will have a great flavor without the bitterness and the acrid burnt taste.

Add that at FLAME OUT. Hot enough temp to kill any bacteria, but not enough to boil it any further. 2 cups will be plenty.

I added my coffee and cocoa after the boil, at about 185 degrees.

As did I, in the my last RIS. I added 2 cups of coffee once I started the IC... Taste in primary is.. perfect coffee flavor.

My impression is the same. Coffee flavor is just about right. i was worried, because coffee is so noticeable, so im glad i put it in then and removed it once thw wort was chilled.

Originally Posted by FATC1TY

I know you said 2 cups of brewed coffee, but what is your bean to water ratio for the cold brewing?

Thanks!

I always cold brew my coffee and add at bottling time. Never had an infection. If you add at bottling time you get to taste it as you go and get just the right amount of coffee flavor. If you add during the boil/or in the fermenter you won't know what it tastes like until you try it. We just bottled a 13 gallon batch of my Kona Chocolate Coffee Stout yesterday. We added almost 60 oz of cold brewed coffee just before we bottled. the sample tasted really good. Check my recipe under my name on the left side of the page.

How much grounds do you use for these 2 cups?

-Steve

I think I had something like 1/4 pound of beans I ground up.. Close to it. I didn't really measure it out. I did 3 cups roughly, you lose some from the grounds and straining them. I had about 2 large cups that I added to my RIS and it was great.

If you drink coffee, use what YOU would drink. Make a bit and see what you like, some like it weaker, others like it thick enough to float a horse shoe.

How much grounds do you use for these 2 cups?

-Steve

Mine was the Founders breakfast stout clone. It called for 2 ounces of grounds in a quart of priming solution (not counting the boil addition). In retrospect, I would add a bit more, maybe 3-4 ounces.

Back