My Basement Bar Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopp, great work. Looks awesome. It appears there are a few of us from around the Oakland County area in MI.

Yeah, there are a few of us hanging around. Thanks for the compliment. I am grouting the slate in the bar area tomorrow and then drop ceiling is the last thing to do. I hung all of my craft brewery tins yesterday and progressed with some of the other finishing touches. Now my next project is building a keezer to match the bar with cedar logs, knotty pine, etc. I'm thinking 3 beer taps and 1 rootbeer tap (for the kids) is plenty, so I have my eye on several different 7 to 8 cu. ft. freezers to convert. I am taking a trip down to my parents sometime in the next couple of weeks to get some more red cedar logs for the keezer build. Can't wait....I'm sick of bottling!

Hopp, great work. Looks awesome. It appears there are a few of us from around the Oakland County area in MI.

Hey Guys, Sorry, not updated pics. :( Our digital camera is a POS, so we are shopping for a new one. It constantly is saying the the batteries are dead, even with brand new batteries. When turned on, you only have enough time to take one picture before it dies. :mad: I haven't made a ton progress, just hung some beer tins (Oberon, Moose Drool, New Holland, Dogfish Head, Founders, etc.) and my Stone IPA back lit globe. We were supposed to grout last week, but kids activities and my hectic work schedule keep getting in the way. I did manage to paint the basement bedroom and prime the exercise room last week, but that's it. I took my first vacation day off since mid July yesterday and SWMBO wanted me to build the shelving in the walk in pantry adjacent to the bar, which in my opinion isn't nearly as important as getting the damn bar done! :tank: Oh well, I have to choose my battles. Getting ready to head down to the basement and finish painting the exercise room and family/rec. room today. If I can manage finishing the painting in these two rooms, then I'm home free with the painting. SWMBO is considering helping me tomorrow with the grouting of the slate on the floor of the bar, the fireplace hearth, and the walkout landing tomorrow, as well as the travertine bar backsplash. Wish me luck! :D I'll post updated pics when able. Cheers! :mug:

Thank you for the pictures and sharing this odyssey with us, I for one really like the rustic style, it make it look like it has been there forever.
Best of luck, and may you enjoy it for many decades.

Hey Guys, Sorry, not updated pics. :( Our digital camera is a POS, so we are shopping for a new one. It constantly is saying the the batteries are dead, even with brand new batteries. When turned on, you only have enough time to take one picture before it dies. :mad:

It may not be the camera. What kind of batteries are you using? I've got a camera that does the same thing if I try to use the cheap batteries (like the 24pks for $5 at CVS). If I use name brand batteries it works fine. Might save you from having to buy a new camera, and we can see some more pics!

You've done a beautiful build, I can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks for the insight. We used to use rechargeable batteries, but when it started doing this, we switched to high quality batteries. It doesn't matter what brand we use, it happens with all of them. Oh well. Thanks again, and thanks for the compliment on the build. I finished the painting in the entire basement this weekend and built the shelving in the pantry, so it shouldn't be long now. I'll update pics when able. :mug:

It may not be the camera. What kind of batteries are you using? I've got a camera that does the same thing if I try to use the cheap batteries (like the 24pks for $5 at CVS). If I use name brand batteries it works fine. Might save you from having to buy a new camera, and we can see some more pics!

You've done a beautiful build, I can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks Kauai Kahuna! I appreciate the compliment. I'll update some pics soon. Really wish I was in Hawaii right now, since there is 12 inches of snow expected in Michigan between tomorrow and Wednesday. :( Thanks again! :tank:

Thank you for the pictures and sharing this odyssey with us, I for one really like the rustic style, it make it look like it has been there forever.
Best of luck, and may you enjoy it for many decades.

I was thinking batteries too. You have to use the rechargeable Ni-MH to get any sort of good performance. Some are better than others depending on the milliampere-hour rating.

OK, still no camera, but should wrap up the bar today. I also got my hands on a new GE 7 cf chest freezer, so I'll start the coffin keezer to match the bar (cedar logs, knotty pine, tumbled travertie, etc.). I'll start another thread for that and will get some pics up a quickly as possible with the bar. Thanks for all of the compliments HBT members! :mug:

My bar build was just put on hold before it even began. The little ones, I have twin boys, ended up in the hospital with pneumonia for 4 or 5 days so the hospital bill is gonna take our extra cash. Sucks.............

Sorry to hear about that. It's times like these that really help to put things into perspective. As long as the little guys are doing OK, then that's all that really matters in the grand scope of things. Hopefully they are well at this point. Drop me a line giving me the head's up when you get started with the bar and make sure to start a thread, so we can follow the build. Again, hope the little ones are better. I'm getting ready to start my keezer project in the next few days, so I'll start a thread. Take care.

My bar build was just put on hold before it even began. The little ones, I have twin boys, ended up in the hospital with pneumonia for 4 or 5 days so the hospital bill is gonna take our extra cash. Sucks.............

sorry 'bout the stall out with this thread. I sort of changed gears and started my Keezer build to match the knotty pine and cedar log bar theme. There are a couple of more updated pics. on that thread and I'll be sure to clean up the bar area and snap a few updated shots. Still no drop ceiling in and the cedar log bar stools remain unfinished, but for the most part the bar is 90% complete. I just couldn't wait to start the keezer build, but I promised my wife that I would get the drop ceiling in over the next few week. Jump onto my keezer build link in my signature line for a few more updated pics and to check out my keezer progress. :mug:

I am in the process of finishing part of my basement and started out the same way you did, bare walls and no cieling. I finished the basement with dryway and i bought 12 packages (160sq ft) of what i think you used on your bar for the cieling. And it looks amazing!!
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=sim&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

I think it would look amazing in your space all i did was nail it directly to the joists in the cieling. It gives me ample clearance and really adds to the space! Just imagine hardwood cieling!!:rockin:

Amazing! I love it.
Where does one get a cut of cedar like that? Def not going to find something like that at the depot.

I'm taking every precaution imagineable. My kids are little (6 & 8), but I'm planning for their teenage years and beyond. I built a walk in cold storage room in the basement for beer and wine. It is where I store all of my home brew once it's fermented, bottled, and carbed. We also store all wine and liquor in there as well....under lock and key. I also will be ordering the tap locks for my 3 tap system, once my keezer is complete. I know how I was when I was a teenager, so I'm really trying to plan ahead.

Yep, right you are! And as a teenager I knew how to pick locks....

Thanks.....I've stalled out on my progress with the basement, so I haven't been updating this thread like I should. I have one room left to paint, then just drop ceiling and carpeting. In the bar, we just need to finish the log bar stools and get the drop ceiling in. My biggest problem is that I moved onto my keezer build (against my wife's wishes), which has occupied a great deal of my spare time. I'm sick of bottling. Check out my Keezer build thread when you get a chance.

If you are talking about the actual bar top and countertop.....they are redwood slabs from northern California. If you look earlier in my thread, I wrote where and how I found them. If you are talking about the mantle, liquor shelf, log trims, or the logs used for my keezer build.....yes, that is red cedar and it's from my dad's property. Not gonna find any of that stuff at HD or Lowe's. Thanks again. My keezer is progressing nicely, so I'll get back to completing the rest of the basement very soon. Cheers! :mug:

Amazing! I love it.
Where does one get a cut of cedar like that? Def not going to find something like that at the depot.

Wow....it's been a while since I have updated this thread. My wife and I finally completed the grouting in the bar area and my Keezer build will be completed tomorrow when I get out of work. Now I should have more time to finish off the last few things for my basement and basement bar build. I'll post some pics of my new rustic keezer that matches my bar area and the bar with the finished grout this weekend. :mug:

Just read through this entire thread and I see that it stalled out a few months ago. I would love to see how this ended up, I am a huge fan of the rustic style also.

thats an awesome bar mate I wish I had you woodworking skills
mine leaves a lot to be desired .

Its looking fantastic buddy :)

Thanks man...I appreciate it. I finished my keezer build a while back and finally moved it into it's final resting place in my basement bar. I still have a little work to do in the bar area like refinishing my log bar stools, installing the drop ceiling & accent lighting, and giving the slate a good cleaning before putting the final stone sealant on it. I'm starting the drop ceiling in about 2 weeks when we return from vacation.....after that just carpeting in the remainder of the basement and she's done! Cant' wait, but here are the pics of what I have going on down there currently. :mug:

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

Thanks ClaudiusB....and thanks for your help with my Love Controller a while back. All is functioning well with the contoller. I just need to lenghten my beer lines and it should be a flawless system. Thanks again!

If I was going ahead with my keezer it was going to be based
on how you did yours except for the tower .

I was going to cover it all over in timber like yours
cos I actually read this whole thread a couple
of weeks ago and was well impressed :mug:

I can really appreciate the time you put in
because I realise how much it takes
to do a quality job .

keep it up mate

:mug:

Electrichead, I would love to, but don't know exactly how it would affect the performance of the fridge. I'm going to look into it further, because as is, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Thanks for the compliment.

Passion8Man....thanks! I'll continue to follow your thread as you progress with your build. Good luck!

Thanks cbjr1960. All of the cedar logs are from my dad's property. Everytime I go down to visit my parents, my dad and I ride on his ATV through the woods looking for dead red cedar for my "projects". Although my dad is still with us, there is a lot more sentimental value to my basement, having harvested most of the wood with him and stripped each and every log by hand. I'm glad that you were able to find excellent use of the wood that you and your dad harvested and milled....means a lot more! Nice job with your build. :mug:

I promised my wife that I would install the drop ceiling and have the carpeting done in the rest of the basement before I start anymore brewing projects. My next two projects are; 1) a Single Tier/3 Vessel AG Brewing System & 2) building a brewing room. I have the space to devote to a brewing room and plan on installing stainless deep well sinks, a stainless prep. table, shelving, storage, etc., but all of the furniture for the rest of the basement is occupying that space until the rest of the basement is done. Can't wait to get these projects going!

Last pics. were from July of this year. The drop ceiling is 90% completed, just need to cut to size the perimeter tiles and cut the reveal since they are dimensional tiles. In my typical fashion, I started another project before 100% completing this one. I am working on tap handles for my keezer, which can be found on the other thread in my signature line. I'll try to wrap up the ceiling this weekend and then I'll post final pics. :mug:

Gotcha. Spaced it and was looking at the join date! Either way, looking at the starting pictures to most recent is awesome. Keep up the solid work!

I'll post final pics ASAP, but keep getting pulled in 50 different directions. I'm modifying my keezer for a 4th tap and making cedar branch tap handles, so my progress has once again stalled with my drop ceiling installation. I plan on busting my a$$ this weekend on it, so hopefully I can knock the rest of it out.

all you need is a little wood stove and you have yourself a rustic man cave.....oh and a tv as Jota21 mentioned.....very nice

Back