Electric brewing is the way..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jknapp

Reaction score
Stealth quiet, efficient. So glad I jettisoned the burner. Love it!

image-1953331966.jpg

image-1613000948.jpg

Nice setup, what is controlling the element?

I have 2 x 2000w elements mounted in my kettle. Each one is on an independent 20amp circuit with its own switch. I boil ~7.3 gal for a 5.5 gal batch, running both elements 100% the entire boil. The fan keeps the boilovers at bay.

Its about as simple as it gets - no pid, so ssr, just turn on and brew.

Nice and simple. I like it. Keep my turkey fryer for turkeys!

I'm looking at a very similar setup as yours...

Question: Can you maintain a boil with just one of those burners?

I have 2 x 2000w elements mounted in my kettle. Each one is on an independent 20amp circuit with its own switch. I boil ~7.3 gal for a 5.5 gal batch, running both elements 100% the entire boil. The fan keeps the boilovers at bay.

Its about as simple as it gets - no pid, so ssr, just turn on and brew.

Similiar to what I do as well, except I boil around 10 gal for 1/4 keg, 7.75 gal. batches. Brew in the comfortable basement year round...my propane tank and burner have been idle for around 2 years. I agree, as you say just turn on and brew....KISS....I't don't need to be that complicated....:mug:

It IS nice....I like that I can set the PID and walk away.....I was always worried about walking away from a lit propane burner. Not to mention the ability to brew inside....

I am just this week at the last stages of switching to electric. One item has me a tad worried though.
The propane burners I was using would also heat my unheated garage as I was brewing. When it is 20 below or ten 10 above this heat was welcomed on the toes and fingers. (I ventilated while brewing and monitored C02 levels) .

I do not see the electric system putting out that much BTU to heat the garage while brewing. Which means I may end up using a secondary source for heating the garage.

Have you noticed how much heat radiates from your pot while boiling?

thank you!

We have a 1000 gallon propane tank that lasts us years with the wood stove but I'm thinking...Get water from propane 80 gal water heater(or wood stove) to electric just for ease and no fire....I want to make a triple 6" burner but can't find sh**
Hate to buy a new 62 quart kettle and start drilling holes....
Plus I'd like to still do a buddies turkey fryer sometimes.

From his description it's got to be 120V elements.
I was assuming that but wanted to make sure. I have an electric dryer hook up in the "mother-in-law basement apartment" as well as a couple free propane hook ups but I'm leaning toward electric(220v)

Anybody have luck with (3) 6" burners?
I figured I could turn on 1 or all 3 to regulate temp.
I want to do 10 gallon batches batch sparged in 15 gallon coolers.

Back