Will the size of my starter be ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threetall

Reaction score
So I bought wyeast 1728 scottish ale for a holiday porter on the recommmendation of the person at the LHBS. The beer is going to be around 1.065 (or even more if my efficiency is higher than expected) and am planning for a 6 gallon batch so 5.5+ gallons into the fermentor. The online yeast calculators say I need a huge starter 3-4 l for this beer. I only have the capacity for 2L of starter, will this be ok?

Sounds like a volume that would be required for a starter that was completely left still. Intermittent shaking or a stirplate should reduce that significantly. Otherwise you can do a stepped starter to work-around your volume limitations. I would not recommend underpitching.

Agree with Hex. Make sure you got the right settings on Mr Malty... I can't see a 2 liter starter not footing the bill on this beer... It's not that big.

Production date on the yeast packet? Do you have a stirplate or not?

I would recommend using a stepped starter (at least two steps) of sizes to get to the cell count needed to pitch. Yeastcalc.com will let you select up to three starters, with aeration methods to get your target cell count.

IMO/IME, it's better to be closer to the target cell count than far short. I typically aim to be within less than 5% of the size/cell count needed for a batch. With a stirplate in the mix, you can make smaller starters that finish far faster (the speed of the starter is the more important item typically).

Manufacturing date was october 17th I think(I threw out the yeast package, and the trash bag got replaced). I do not have a stirplate.
The yeast has been fermenting since Friday night. I was thinking about putting it in the fridge, decanting the growler and adding .5 L of wort into the growler (or will I not have enough space)? Activity is still evident in the 2 liter starter. I am planning on brewing tomorrow.

I'm actually thinking I'll just let this 2 liter starter ferment, refrigerate it overnight, and pitch. It seems like 2 liters should be enough.

If it was October 17 (or around there) then a 2L starter (with intermittent shaking) would get you close (only short by 19 Billion yeast cells). With a stirplate, a 1.6L starter would have given you 250 billion cells, 2 billion over the target (248 billion cells).

I seriously advise getting/making a stirplate and using it in the future.

I don't like to add extra spent starter wort into a batch of beer I brew. I chill/cold crash, and decant, all my starters. I'm brewing next weekend, with a two starter step schedule. I'll be making the first starter tomorrow/Monday so that I'm fully ready to brew come next Saturday.

Oh yeah a stirplate is probably a good investment, but this was my first time making a starter so I didn't have all of the materials. I usually use dry yeast, and didn't realize the work involved with the liquid strain.

Use the site I linked to earlier (yeastcalc.com) to figure out your starters in the future. Either make, or buy, a stirplate before you use liquid yeast again. It will make the starter finish MUCH faster and you can make a smaller one to boot. Go with a two (or three) step starter if your flask isn't big enough in a single step. I do that often since it's one way to save DME.

So I just brewed the batch, and efficiency was a lot higher then expected so I got a higher OG (1.073 instead of 1.065). I pitched the yeast, I hope I'm not screwed.

So I just brewed the batch, and efficiency was a lot higher then expected so I got a higher OG (1.073 instead of 1.065). I pitched the yeast, I hope I'm not screwed.

Probably not screwed, but be sure to give the batch enough time to do all it can to become great. Pull a taste sample before you move it, even after it's hit a confirmed FG.

Back