Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is not what the person said at all. While yes typically heavier beers are the ones we age. This guy implied that somehow the time aging was going to make for a higher ABV. Why do people on HBT just want to pull apart and skew things for arguments sake anymore?

I don't think that people do things for arguments :p

Why do people on HBT just want to pull apart and skew things for arguments sake anymore?

On the net, everybody thinks that they have an important viewpoint or insight. In a real life conversation, if someone did that you could just roll your eyes at them and and excuse yourself to go get another beer and move on.

CGVT said:
On the net, everybody thinks that they have an important viewpoint or insight. In a real life conversation, if someone did that you could just roll your eyes at them and and excuse yourself to go get another beer and move on.

Well said

wait wait wait...

Are you telling me when I do the same thing in real life conversation and I see that response, that its NOT them walking away in defeat because my opinion is the only correct one?? And I always thought they were getting me a beer as a peace offering, but only forgot halfway through.

:mug:

Back on topic....

sort of

I guess not fuuny, but anecdotal. I love when people who have no idea that you can make beer yourself talk to me (a coworker was just doing this). They are always so amazed at the process, equipment, and ability. So am I still, truth be told, but it is just cool seeing those reactions. Reminds me of my first brewery tour where everything inspired awe.

From my uncle in-law while drinking a 9% barleywine I made "this is pretty close to Sam Adams" I just said thank you ,as he meant it as a near compliment.

From my uncle in-law while drinking a 9% barleywine I made "this is pretty close to Sam Adams" I just said thank you ,as he meant it as a near compliment.

They do make a barley wine.... he could be more of a beer connoisseur than you thought!

(yes, we're back to this :p)

I brewed a Belgium wheat. Turned out fantastic, one of my best brews truth be told.

My brother comes over, he thinks Pacifico is craft beer and the best thing on the planet.

He sees my keg-r-ator, grabs a glass and we have the following conversation:

Bro: "what's this?"

Me: "it is a Belgium wheat beer, kind of like a hoegarrden".

Bro: "hmmmm......I don't like hoegarrden"

Me: "then pour a small one"

He then proceeds to pour a full pint, takes a drink.

Bro: "hmmmm....that would be a good marinade".

Then pours the rest out in the sink.

He has not had any more of my brews for the past 2 years.

So that qualifies as funny things I have heard about beer!!!!!

tcory77 said:
I brewed a Belgium wheat. Turned out fantastic, one of my best brews truth be told.

My brother comes over, he thinks Pacifico is craft beer and the best thing on the planet.

He sees my keg-r-ator, grabs a glass and we have the following conversation:

Bro: "what's this?"

Me: "it is a Belgium wheat beer, kind of like a hoegarrden".

Bro: "hmmmm......I don't like hoegarrden"

Me: "then pour a small one"

He then proceeds to pour a full pint, takes a drink.

Bro: "hmmmm....that would be a good marinade".

Then pours the rest out in the sink.

He has not had any more of my brews for the past 2 years.

So that qualifies as funny things I have heard about beer!!!!!

There is actually a thread more suited, "stupidest comment ever on your beer" you should share this story there haha they will like it

Went to TGI Fridays today because I got a gift card. Beer selection was pretty bad so I settled with one I hadn't had but seemed most likely to be a decent "craft" brew

Me: ill have a newcastle brown ale
Waitress: a Newcastle?? (Looks confused)
Me: (trying to help the confusion) do you need my ID or something?
Waitress: umm it's a drink?
I nod
Waitress: um yes please let me see it, anyone who looks under 40 sorry no offense
Me: oh no problem
Waitress: so a new, castle? That's a beer or a cocktail? Sorry I don't drink much

I tend not to be rude to people handling my food and drinks, also I am fairly certain she was new, and she was extremely polite, and apologetic, so I'm not going to flip out on some poor waitress like a dbag, but if she wasn't new then what the hell is wrong with her? I don't care if you don't drink you should know what your restaurant is selling. I have a feeling many people besides myself ask before almost anything else, "what do you have on draft?"

Oh and she came back to tell me they were out of newcastle, so I still haven't had it, is this a good beer?

Went to TGI Fridays today because I got a gift card. Beer selection was pretty bad so I settled with one I hadn't had but seemed most likely to be a decent "craft" brew

Me: ill have a newcastle brown ale
Waitress: a Newcastle?? (Looks confused)
Me: (trying to help the confusion) do you need my ID or something?
Waitress: umm it's a drink?
I nod
Waitress: um yes please let me see it, anyone who looks under 40 sorry no offense
Me: oh no problem
Waitress: so a new, castle? That's a beer or a cocktail? Sorry I don't drink much

I tend not to be rude to people handling my food and drinks, also I am fairly certain she was new, and she was extremely polite, and apologetic, so I'm not going to flip out on some poor waitress like a dbag, but if she wasn't new then what the hell is wrong with her? I don't care if you don't drink you should know what your restaurant is selling. I have a feeling many people besides myself ask before almost anything else, "what do you have on draft?"

Oh and she came back to tell me they were out of newcastle, so I still haven't had it, is this a good beer?

TGIF is a place for kid's hamburgers. A place that doesn't allow 'rare' meat or has Sam Adams as the only halfway decent beer is just a typical chain restaurant that only cares for being bland and not being liable for anything.

iambeer said:
TGIF is a place for kid's hamburgers. A place that doesn't allow 'rare' meat or has Sam Adams as the only halfway decent beer is just a typical chain restaurant.

I can't stand not being able to order a steak rare or my hamburger medium-rare. Places that don't allow that are basically saying they don't serve quality product.

On that note you should know this about Fridays. SWMBO ordered a garlic chicken and shrimp plate and asked if they could really hold back/ go easy on the spices, (she can't eat them due to IBS) the waitress said let me ask, and disappeared. The manager then comes out to explain to us that he is sorry but they can't alter it because all of their food is pre-prepared and pre packaged, sauces and spices on it. They just open the frozen package and cook it. I was NOT surprised, it was just sad that the illusion of a cook back there actually preparing the food was gone. Like I said we went because someone gave us a gift card for Christmas. I said to SWMBO well looks like we won't be back until this time next year, haha.

It is what it is though I guess. From a business stand point it makes sense. They make a killing this way, and with complete consistency even from one location to the next. The meals cost them so little. Then they hire a kid to operate a skillet for a few bucks an hour, cooking up these things as fast as he can. If the price of the food reflected the process a little better I would still go. But restaurant prices for a frozen bag skillet meal they sell at the grocery store, that is hard for me to buy into. I guess their food is like their beer selection; standard, basic, macro, and well advertised for the sheep to throw money at.

The Keurig I just bought my wife for xmas brews (by default, no less) at 192*F...However, I've not noticed anything particularly insane about the coffee and tea I've drank from this apparent implement of evil!

We just got a Keurig for Christmas, one thing I've noticed, I have not really enjoyed any of the coffee I've had from it. Prefer a Bunn or a French Press much more.

We just got a Keurig for Christmas, one thing I've noticed, I have not really enjoyed any of the coffee I've had from it. Prefer a Bunn or a French Press much more.

My wife and I work at the same place, so we took ours to work. You can get some semi decent stuff, and it's better than the crap they have around the office. We have a French Press at home... Doesn't get much better than that in my book.

drainbamage said:
From him not wanting to try any, or from you not offering it?

I don't offer it. If he showed some interest I wouldn't tell him no. I just keep some easy drinking commercial beers around for when he comes around.

If I told him his cooking would make good dog food he would loose his marbles!!!!! If something is not your cup of tea, cool, no biggie, I get that. Just have some courtesy !!!! Ah, brothers......if they don't try to take you out at the knees then what are they good for? :)

tcory77 said:
Ah, brothers......if they don't try to take you out at the knees then what are they good for? :)

Truer words were never spoken my friend haha

newb said:
The manager then comes out to explain to us that he is sorry but they can't alter it because all of their food is pre-prepared and pre packaged, sauces and spices on it. They just open the frozen package and cook it.

Yeah my wife worked at Red Lobster back in the early 90's and it was the same thing there. The only thing that didn't come in a bag and that was prepared fresh was the salads. Just like you said, it's the McDonald's approach...a Big Mac in California needs to taste exactly like a Big Mac in France.

Yeah my wife worked at Red Lobster back in the early 90's and it was the same thing there. The only thing that didn't come in a bag and that was prepared fresh was the salads. Just like you said, it's the McDonald's approach...a Big Mac in California needs to taste exactly like a Big Mac in France.

This has nothing to do with your statement however, you can order a beer with your Big Mac in Germany, hence making them Imperior :rockin:

DoubleAught said:
This has nothing to do with your statement however, you can order a beer with your Big Mac in Germany, hence making them Imperior :rockin:

A friend of mine told me it cost more to get soda with your meal there.

jerrodm said:
Or maybe a burger from Big Kahuna...I hear they've got some tasty burgers, never had one myself.

My job is starting to kill burgers for me. I work at a Five Guys.

Back