Using Carboy or Bucket as a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x2n2005

Reaction score
Hi there!

This is my first post aside from my introduction. I was wondering if I can use a Carboy or a Bucket instead of using or a keg or bottles for storing my beers without affecting the taste after the secondary fermentation? Maybe I can just cover the carboy with something like a sheet of fabric or just store it in a dark room to prevent light from getting in. :D

To age, yes. To carbonate, NO.

You should have it in a dark place anyway.

BTW, unless you added another source of sugars to the brew after you racked it, you didn't get any more fermentation once you racked it. Look up not using a second vessel (or secondary) for brewing. A great many of us don't bother with it and are getting great tasting, super-clear brews as a result. Plus, less risks due to less transfers. :D

I don't know how long you intend to store the beer before drinking it but I have just left some of mine in the primary fermenter for 9 weeks. It came out really good. I've heard from other brewers who have left it even longer with no ill effects.

To age, yes. To carbonate, NO.

You should have it in a dark place anyway.

BTW, unless you added another source of sugars to the brew after you racked it, you didn't get any more fermentation once you racked it. Look up not using a second vessel (or secondary) for brewing. A great many of us don't bother with it and are getting great tasting, super-clear brews as a result. Plus, less risks due to less transfers. :D

I shall looks it up and thank you! The thing is that I want to use something else aside from bottles, kegs, or soda canisters with it still being carbonated, clear, and great tasting. It's difficult for me to find kegs for sale in the Philippines so I am trying to look for an alternative. :)

I don't know how long you intend to store the beer before drinking it but I have just left some of mine in the primary fermenter for 9 weeks. It came out really good. I've heard from other brewers who have left it even longer with no ill effects.

I am going to try that :D Thank you for the suggestion. I think Golddiggie suggested the same thing. The thing is I just need to find another alternative aside using bottles, kegs, and soda canisters.

Maybe I can slip in some priming sugar into the carboy and make it air tight like one big giant bottle. Do think that can work?

I am going to try that :D Thank you for the suggestion. I think Golddiggie suggested the same thing. The thing is I just need to find another alternative aside using bottles, kegs, and soda canisters.

Maybe I can slip in some priming sugar into the carboy and make it air tight like one big giant bottle. Do think that can work?

IMO, HUGE bad idea. Carboys are not designed to hold pressure like that. Very likely it will blow the stopper, at best. At worst it will blow up and you'll waste a full batch.

I ferment in adapted sanke kegs, which CAN hold pressure.

depends on what you are using for a carboy. Most are not designed to hold pressure and may explode giving you one massive bottle bomb and a mess to clean up. I found this home made keg interesting. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/homemade-keg-5326/ Also, if you prime it, it can hold pressure, and carbonate if you open it you'll have to find a way to add pressure back to it, such as with kegging you need to continually add CO2.

depends on what you are using for a carboy. Most are not designed to hold pressure and may explode giving you one massive bottle bomb and a mess to clean up. I found this home made keg interesting. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/homemade-keg-5326/ Also, if you prime it, it can hold pressure, and carbonate if you open it you'll have to find a way to add pressure back to it, such as with kegging you need to continually add CO2.

This is just amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this with me! Thank you! Thank you! This is what I need! :D :rockin:

All I need are Plastic Carboys, metal tire valves and some stuff I can find anywhere in my country!

This is just amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this with me! Thank you! Thank you! This is what I need! :D :rockin:

All I need are Plastic Carboys, metal tire valves and some stuff I can find anywhere in my country!

Did you see all the warnings in that thread? You'll need to hunt down a threaded top/opening plastic water bottle/carboy to begin with. Plus, do all the modifications to it. THEN be super careful to NOT put too much pressure into it (didn't see where a PSI value was listed for how much was too much).

IMO, the super high risks of going that route do NOT outweigh the benefits from trying it. Do what you want, but don't be surprised if you come home one day to find a ruptured carboy and your beer is all over the floor. Or have it explode (literally) in your face one day when you're looking at it.

There's a reason why we only use stainless vessels to carbonate/serve out beers.

Did you see all the warnings in that thread? You'll need to hunt down a threaded top/opening plastic water bottle/carboy to begin with. Plus, do all the modifications to it. THEN be super careful to NOT put too much pressure into it (didn't see where a PSI value was listed for how much was too much).

IMO, the super high risks of going that route do NOT outweigh the benefits from trying it. Do what you want, but don't be surprised if you come home one day to find a ruptured carboy and your beer is all over the floor. Or have it explode (literally) in your face one day when you're looking at it.

There's a reason why we only use stainless vessels to carbonate/serve out beers.

Thank you for warning me and I know about the risks but, do you think i can get seriously injured? if so then i might consider not doing it. :) i wanna try making it for learning purposes as well. one day i will be able to get those kegs.

Thank you again for many helps :)

Thank you for warning me and I know about the risks but, do you think i can get seriously injured? if so then i might consider not doing it. :) i wanna try making it for learning purposes as well. one day i will be able to get those kegs.

Thank you again for many helps :)

Is it worth risking losing a batch of beer over, plus the fermenting vessel?? IMO, it's not. You could get injured by a stressed carboy, especially if you use a glass one. You could get stress fractures (that you cannot see) in it that will fail at the worst possible time. IMO, it's full of potentially very BAD things. What little gain you could get is more than offset by the pain you could be forced to endure.

Keg Connection has been having a sale all day (most of yesterday too) on kegging gear.

Is it worth risking losing a batch of beer over, plus the fermenting vessel?? IMO, it's not. You could get injured by a stressed carboy, especially if you use a glass one. You could get stress fractures (that you cannot see) in it that will fail at the worst possible time. IMO, it's full of potentially very BAD things. What little gain you could get is more than offset by the pain you could be forced to endure.

Keg Connection has been having a sale all day (most of yesterday too) on kegging gear.

I will just be patient and save up for a keg. I do not want to get any injuries. Thank you. I will probably stick to bottling until the time get kegs. It is hard to get equipment from where i live. I live in the philippines and it also hard for me to get some hops. Shipping big items from the u.s., like kegs, would probably cost me about almost a $100 dollars to ship if it was heading to the philippines. Safety first i guess.

I am glad everyone here is so friendly. This is just my second post and i got me this much feedback. I am pretty much happy.

Cheers :mug:

Back