Chocolate Cherry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewmeister Jeff said:
We are looking for a good recipe for a Chocolate Cherry Stout. I see some for Cherry Stouts but am wondering how the whole Chocolate thing comes into play.

I did one of these a while back. 8 oz of chocolate malt in the grain bill, unsweetened cocoa powder at bottling. It was only ok, probably not a recipe that I'd want to repeat, fwiw.

Here's what we are working on right now. I'll be able to report back around Christmas as to whether it's any good. :) Also, we're fairly new at this.

We started with a 5 gallon milk stout recipe. To make it our holiday beer, we added one pound of brown sugar and one pound of Hershey's cocoa powder right at the end of the boil--just long enough to dissolve them. Then we're going to add 5 lbs of canned, pasteurized Oregon tart cherries to the secondary this week. I don't yet know if we'll puree them or put them in whole.

I hope it turns out well. I think it will probably be OK.

My wife wanted a chocolate cherry stout. I brewed a Milk stout when racked to sec. fermenter I added 3lb of sweet cherry, fermented for week and a half then a third fermenter and a coco nib addition of 1.25 lb four days then racked agin going to bottle this week but it taste good already

I just recently installed a nitro tap into my keezer .. after my latte stout runs out I think I know what my next nitro brew will be. Trippel-A, how did yours turn out? Darkness .. yours sounds really good. Looking forward to a full review ..

I'm sorry to be getting back to this so late. Ours turned out pretty good. Not phenomenal, but pretty good. When we brewed it and when we racked it, it was inky, inky black (from all the suspended cocoa powder, I think). But by the time it was done, we wished we'd put in a second pound of cocoa powder. The chocolate notes ended up being very faint compared to the cherries (which we pureed in a sanitized blender and added to the secondary--it didn't cause any problem at racking, though a few floaters made it into bottles). One of my partners said he thought there was a cough-syrupy taste, but I disagree.

The best thing about it, really, wasn't our doing. The mouthfeel was really great, and I think that was from the lactose in the milk stout recipe.

Latest posts

Back