Dumping Entire Wort into Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneGreenMonstah

Reaction score
Hey just realized I dumped my entire wort into my fermenter then added the remaining water to make it 5 gallons.
This was an extract recipe.
...Should I rerack it after it has settled or just leave it?
...this is not going to ruin my batch is it?
Thanks!!

oneGreenMonstah said:
Hey just realized I dumped my entire wort into my fermenter then added the remaining water to make it 5 gallons.
This was an extract recipe.
...Should I rerack it after it has settled or just leave it?
...this is not going to ruin my batch is it?
Thanks!!

Leave it, everything will settle out with time

ya i figured but am just sitting back after brewing and beginning to go over potential mess ups! haha thanks for the reassurance srt!
...please anyone else feel free to chime in as well though!

I always do that. Dump in the break material, boiled hops, I "try" to decant off the trub a little bit, but im sure most of it gets in there. Ferment primary for 1 month, straight to bottles from primary, crystal clear beer in 3 weeks time.

Note though, I siphon it "very" carfully and I dont move the fermenter for the entire duration.

Initially I pour my wort into the buckets and top off with near frozen bottled water. This helps aerate it which is good for the yeasties. However, I put a filter in my primary to catch all the sediment from the boiled hops, irish moss etc.

I always do that. Dump in the break material, boiled hops.

That's what I do. Pour the wort into the bucket, let it ferment a couple of weeks then rack to either a keg or a bottling bucket. I don't strain, re-rack, etc.

My beer is good. My beer is super clear (I don't like cloudy beer) and without any off-flavors.

You can also cold crash the beer after it is done fermenting. That will help clear it up prior to whatever transfer you are going to do.

Allowing the beer to sit on the yeast cake for a cuople of weeks will let the yeasties do their job and finish cleaning up

I will be the one to disagree lol...I recently changed to dumping the entire contents of my boil kettle into the fermenter after 1.5 years of filtering it out. None of the batches I did this with compared to my previous ones. So I switched back to filtering it out and my beer tastes top notch again.

I have nothing to back this up scientifically, but from my personal experience I will keep all that out of my beer from now on. Others state there is no harm in it, but in my taste buds there was.

I wouldn't split hairs I figure what ever gets in there isn't going to ruin it at all, wait till you decide to make a pumpkin beer.

Initially I pour my wort into the buckets and top off with near frozen bottled water. This helps aerate it which is good for the yeasties. However, I put a filter in my primary to catch all the sediment from the boiled hops, irish moss etc.

If you filter, then why do you use Irish Moss at all?

I just dump mine in as of now, haven't tried filtering it was a bit concerned about how much wort is lost absorbed in the trub.

I always pour the wort through a sanitized kitchen strainer. This helps to keep some of the junk out of the fermenter. I would also recommend moving it to a seconday after a week. I know a lot of people on here dont seem to like to use them, but I always have and have liked the result.

If you filter, then why do you use Irish Moss at all?

Because Irish moss assists in settling out haze causing proteins that wouldn't be caught by a mesh liner which I use to remove large sediment from the boil.

Just dump it all in, I don't think it really matters. If you use a lot of hops then filtering through a strainer isn't a bad idea. I did a brew with 6-8 ounces of hops once and had a LOT of trub.

Sorry to bump an old post but this is something I would love to hear more opinions on.

After a solid year of all-grain brewing I am still not getting the results I'd like. I am making some great-tasting wort, cleaning and sanitizing carefully and fermenting at relatively stable temperatures but still find many of my beers to have some 'off' flavours. I've recently been reading about the importance of separating the trub/break/hops from the wort when transferring to the fermenter, and was convinced that this was 'the missing link' between my current process and having great beer. When I think back on my first brews, which I recall as being better than those of late and I remember that for those I did siphon off the wort from the kettle rather than pitch everything into the fermenter, I think that this must be the problem.

Anyhow, when I read this thread and hear from so many (including Yooper whose advice I've come to trust) that they've had good results doing the same (i.e. dumping the whole lot), I wonder if this actually is my problem.
At the same time, I think that there must be a reason brewers and breweries go to such lengths to whirlpool and filter off as much as they can from the wort....

Does anyone else care to weigh in? Could it really be true that hot-break/trub would have no effects on flavour during primary fermentation?

As an extract brewer, I dump it all in. I don't use secondary but I primary for 3 or 4 weeks, siphon carefully and bottle. Maybe I've just been lucky but my beers have all been clear. Maybe it's different with all grain?

I know its horrible advice but DO NOT do this, youll drive yourself crazy. Be confident that you did everything right!

I agree. Timeframes, temperature and sanitation should be your focus. Don't over scrutinize the other things. No, u didn't ruin you beer and quite possibly didn't effect it at all.

I agree with a few posts up - I believe I can taste the difference now that I strain out the gunk after boil. My first many batches were the full dump. My last few have been strained with a sanitized 5G paint strainer as I pour into the fermenting bucket. Im telling you, the beers taste crisper, cleaner. Maybe its in my mind, maybe not. Maybe it is because I am becoming more consistent. Who knows, but it is really the only change I have made.

I used to try and keep all debris out of my fermenter - I eventually gave up and have noticed no negative side effects. The only downside to this is if you're limited on space in your fermenter, however, I've got 30 liter buckets I ferment in so it's not an issue.

Sorry to bump an old post but this is something I would love to hear more opinions on.

After a solid year of all-grain brewing I am still not getting the results I'd like. I am making some great-tasting wort, cleaning and sanitizing carefully and fermenting at relatively stable temperatures but still find many of my beers to have some 'off' flavours. I've recently been reading about the importance of separating the trub/break/hops from the wort when transferring to the fermenter, and was convinced that this was 'the missing link' between my current process and having great beer. When I think back on my first brews, which I recall as being better than those of late and I remember that for those I did siphon off the wort from the kettle rather than pitch everything into the fermenter, I think that this must be the problem.

Anyhow, when I read this thread and hear from so many (including Yooper whose advice I've come to trust) that they've had good results doing the same (i.e. dumping the whole lot), I wonder if this actually is my problem.
At the same time, I think that there must be a reason brewers and breweries go to such lengths to whirlpool and filter off as much as they can from the wort....

Does anyone else care to weigh in? Could it really be true that hot-break/trub would have no effects on flavour during primary fermentation?

So many things to look at.
How good is your boil?
How quickly do you chill? (To be honest, not sure how great an impact this really is, just that the quicker you do, you get a better cold break release of material)
Define - "relatively stable temperatures". What temp do you start at, and how long do you ferment at that temperature? For what yeast strains? Do you increase the temp after active fermentation to help the yeast "clean up" and reduce diacytl?
How long is your total fermentation time?
What type of water profile are you using? The pH level of the beer?

The trub and other material will settle during fermentation, and you can be careful not to siphon that into the keg/bottles when you transfer. I've both done a crappy filter version, and no filter. Doesn't matter, it settles. All of those other factors are more important. Also -

How many cells of yeast do you pitch per your 5G batch? Liquid yeast with a starter, or no? Dry yeast?

Lots of people here would be happy to give some feedback (and try your beer if you want to ship it over :tank: ) - just need some details to help you out.

I prefer to filter simply because I harvest yeast, so the cleaner the yeast the less of the previous beer gets in the next beer I brew. That said, it is a total pain...

Wow Luke 2080 has it right.After reading just the first 110 pages of DESIGNING GREAT BEERS by Ray Daniels, getting out a math book and a dictionary. I have dicovered that there are no ultimate technics or recipies for the creation of the perfect beer. That we must all traverse the trials and tribulations to produce a libation, if not for its intended purpose however, worthy of our own consumption and conversation!

I'm a total rookie, but that's what I've done both times I've brewed. I thought that's what you're supposed to do!

I have done both. I used to dump it all in then I started reading about how to improve the final product by whilpooling and siphoning the beer into the fermentor. I have been using this technique for at least year if not longer. I have NO scientific evidence that one is better than the other for me. I know that my process certainly takes longer than just dumping it all in. There have been a few times over the last year where the brew day started late and went long and I was tired and just dumped. I can't say I remember a difference.

Back