Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Highly informative.

I meant to say that you should pick up the correct hops and that the two you suggested would make a completely different beer.

If you want a break down of the varieties you have, I suggest using google or the search bar at the top left of your page.

Chinook and Williamette will make beer, but completely different from this beer. Personally I leave Chinook for pales and ipa's (dank grapefruit, very bitter). Williamette to me is spicy, fruity and a little woody. Cascade is fruity (light grapefruit) and floral, and Centennial is a stronger, more powerful version of Cascade.

Since this is a blonde ale, I would leave out the Chinook for sure. And if that's all you have I suggest ordering two 4 oz packages of Cascade and Centennial from Farmhouse supply. Good product at a good price and with fast shipping.

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/default.asp

Hope this helps!

Maybe he meant to say that using those hops instd of centennial cascade will result in a completely differ end product. In biermunchers first post he says the secret is I the name and describes how he worked through the various hop profiles. I would suggest make the recipes as stated the first time and then toy with differ ingredients.

+1

I get that changing hops would make different beer, the questions really was would it make this quick turn around beer taste good and if so what flavours would I get out of it. Admittedly I did not spend hours trawling google but if all we needed was google then this site would be redundant.

OK you have convinced me to stay away from the hops I already have. Thanks.

You could always try it and tell us how it turns out. Or you could use williamette solely. I think the chinook won't be good in a blonde.

:D Results Update:

I took Sloose's advise and dry hopped an additional 1 oz of Cascade for 14 days. But like a lazy slob I didn't bag it or strain it when I racked it to the keg.......................................... so it's kinda ........................... gritty!

My son commented he likes to drink beer, not chew it.

The dry hops give it an extra complexity. The same taste, just a little extra. I'm now sold on straining the hops. I still won't bag them, but I will strain them.

I love this hobby! :p

I made this again Sunday, I'm always changing things around and was wondering this time. I put some yeast nutrient in with it this time and Monday it was bursting from the seems and when I got home yesterday to check it, it looks like its pretty much finished fermenting?

image-4279712967.jpg

Almost done!!

I might try it.... I have been brewing a lot of clones lately and I like the way this looks.

That and I have all the ingredients already…

I've postponed my brew day for 2 weeks in a row. Cranking up the burners this Saturday. I have enought ingredients to.do a double batch, and I just might do it. One with Wyeast 1056, and the other with Wyeast 1332. Can't wait!

HEY has anybody used summit and cascade hops for this recipe? I come up with a 20.1 ibu

Yes Paul, I like this beer a lot I've made it more than once probably about 5 times now, it's great! This is my first 10 gallon batch

Any thoughts on PacMan from Wyeast? I've never tried that. What do you think?

I'll keep the hop schedule exact with BM's original recipe. I like to change one thing at a time so I can tell the difference.

I always find it amazing how quickly this stuff goes in the keg. No party's or get together and the latest keg is almost gone after 1 week. There are only 2 regular beer drinkers in my house. 5 gallons of beer in 1 week........................ that's a lot of beer.

Im looking for a good spring/summer brew to make here pretty soon. I love Kona Big Wave and it sounds like your brew is a pretty close version. From Kona's Website:

BITTERNESS: 21 IBU
ALCOHOL BY VOLUME: 4.4%
ORIGINAL GRAVITY: 10.3° P (1.041 SG)
MALTS: PALE (PREMIUM 2-ROW), CARAMEL
HOPS: GALAXY, CITRA

Have you ever had Big Wave? Similar to yours at all?

Im looking for a good spring/summer brew to make here pretty soon. I love Kona Big Wave and it sounds like your brew is a pretty close version. From Kona's Website:

BITTERNESS: 21 IBU
ALCOHOL BY VOLUME: 4.4%
ORIGINAL GRAVITY: 10.3° P (1.041 SG)
MALTS: PALE (PREMIUM 2-ROW), CARAMEL
HOPS: GALAXY, CITRA

Have you ever had Big Wave? Similar to yours at all?

I'm not Biermuncher but I figured I'd answer your fairly easy question. :D

Blondes have light malt character. So you could probably use BM's recipe but switch out the centennial and cascade with galaxy and citra. I'd bet it will get you close to what you're looking for.

I'm doing this recipe as my first all grain(Biab). Total cost 23.02 including mesh bag for 5 gal batch.

SWMBO loves this beer.

I've made it twice, but now she is ready for a change. She asked if I could turn it into a strawberry blonde.

Other than adding 6-7 lbs of strawberries to a secondary, any thoughts on other changes to the recipe? Is that too many strawberries? Additional hops to offset the extra sweetness?

I do AG brewing, so could also mess with the grain bill if I wanted.

I plan on brewing next week sometime. Thanks for any input.

mhurst111 said:
SWMBO loves this beer.

I've made it twice, but now she is ready for a change. She asked if I could turn it into a strawberry blonde.

Other than adding 6-7 lbs of strawberries to a secondary, any thoughts on other changes to the recipe? Is that too many strawberries? Additional hops to offset the extra sweetness?

I'm interested in this too. I've heard racking on to 1-2# per gal. Frozen pasteurized berries on the secondary is the way to go. I plan on brewing 5 gal batch and doing half strawberry bottling for SWMBO and half normal kegging for me. Any thoughts on this?

mhurst111 said:
SWMBO loves this beer.

That's a **** load of strawberries! 1# per gallon was my ratio for raspberries and they where overpowering.

Strawberries are among the more difficult fruits b/c they're so watery. If you stick with them, I'd suggest you sub Belma hops for the Cascade additions. Belma is CHEAP ($5/#) and gives a berry flavor that'll back up the fruit.

If SWMBO likes kiwi, I'd suggest that--great flavor at 1#/ gallon.

Strawberries are among the more difficult fruits b/c they're so watery. If you stick with them, I'd suggest you sub Belma hops for the Cascade additions. Belma is CHEAP ($5/#) and gives a berry flavor that'll back up the fruit.

If SWMBO likes kiwi, I'd suggest that--great flavor at 1#/ gallon.

I did a strawberry rhubarb wheat a few months ago, Tastes exactly like tart pineapple. Not what I was going for but it is still good.

The sugar from your berries will dry out the beer a little. I'd mash a little higher to keep more residual sweetness.

That's a **** load of strawberries! 1# per gallon was my ratio for raspberries and they where overpowering.

I believe it takes more strawberries than it does raspberries. Raspberries impart their flavor a little easier...

Brewed it this weekend just as the recipe says, buy subed Wyeast 1056 instead. Did the 5 gal batch. This is the least amount of hop and grain that I have ever brewed with before. Cost me $17.23 for everything! Its was less than 12 hours when it started to bubble. Can't wait to keg it!

Got a question for everybody. I'm a newbie and I've done several 10 gallon batches of different brews so far. I've always used 2 pouches of yeast with my 10 gallon recipes (basically double what the 5 gal recipe calls for) Why does this Centennial Blonde recipe only call for only 1 pouch of Noddy for 10 gallon version of this recipe? Is this a typo or should I just use one noddy.
I asked my local home brew shop and he said definitely use 2 on this recipe.
Am I missing something? Opinions, advice?
Thanks!!

MF

I was entering the recipe into beer smith, but it seems the volumes aren't adding up. What should be mash volume be and I figure I can calculate from there, or does it really matter how much water is initially used?

I did the 5 gallon batch. Used 1 yeast. 1 :1.2 ratio (grain:water). Had about 2.75 gals in mash, then fly sparged with 5.25 gals (8 total).

I was thinking about the yeast question and I guess it leads me to another question: I do a 5 gal batch with OG 1.075 and use 1 smackpack with no issues. Thats basically the same amt of yeast and sugar as a 10 gal batch of the Centennial Blonde, so why wouldn't 1 smackpack work for 10 gals? Perhaps I'm not thinking clearly?

I mashed too high, didn't aerate, and left on yeast cake of SA-04 for 8 weeks. Verdict? GREAT BEER!!

I can't imagine what this would taste like if I could actually brew beer properly!!

This is an amazingly drinkable session beer. I detect a mild toastiness in the malt, along with a mild zesty/citrus hop note, with a clean, mildly dry finish. I got off work this morning and sucked one down with a breakfast burrito. T'was sublime. When the weather warms, these two kegs of it I have will be kicked in no time. My wife likes it too (she likes stouts/etc typically)

I have a 4 keg system right now, and so far, vow that this will always have a tap.

Has anyone experienced a slight sour taste on the front end of this? I brewed this two weeks ago yesterday, sat in primary for 8 days, cold crashed, kegged and carbed. Started tasting after about 11 days and there was a distinct sour taste to it. I haven't ever tasted a homebrew that young before but with the comments about the quick turnaround, I thought what the hell. Hardly noticed after the first few sips and the rest of the pint is quite good. Also tasted it yesterday and it seemed that the sour taste has diminished but still fairly noticeable. It fermented well and at a stable 66-70. My sanitation stays superb and there were no signs of any infection. OG was 1.042. FG was 1.010. It was a BIAB batch that we did while waiting for the mash tun parts to come in. Think I should just RDWAHAHB and let it age some more? Also thinking of tossing in an oz or so of cascade leaf hops that I have lying around. Anyone try that?

Sounds green. Just wait a week. Also, the hop amount is small, but so is the grain bill. I found that I can easily pick out the hops in this beer (as well as the specialty grains for that matter) and the whole this is very balanced. This is a "session" beer if there ever was one. Save the hop explosions for the IPAs, etc., IMHO.

I found that I can easily pick out the hops in this beer (as well as the specialty grains for that matter) and the whole this is very balanced. This is a "session" beer if there ever was one. Save the hop explosions for the IPAs, etc., IMHO.

I agree. I upped my grain bill to yield about 4.9% abv and didn't change the hop additions one bit. The beer came out very balanced, not bitter whatsoever.

That's correct dickproenneke - by increasing the malt and by that, the ABV, you have wound up with less total IBU in the beer and less proportional Bitterness:Gravity Ratio. You have taken a slightly hoppy, mostly-balanced recipe and, in fact, made it maltier. That's fine, what is important is that it reaches the balance that you want to taste.

I wrote to great lengths about this earlier in the thread, see this link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/ce...rain-5-10-gall-42841/index61.html#post4637367 - or if the link won't work for you, I am referring to posts #2439 and #2440 in this thread.

How many people are planning to keep this permanently on tap this spring/summer?! Seems like a great all-around beer for everyone, and a great thirst quencher :)

Komocabo said:
I did the 5 gallon batch. Used 1 yeast. 1 :1.2 ratio (grain:water). Had about 2.75 gals in mash, then fly sparged with 5.25 gals (8 total).

I was thinking about the yeast question and I guess it leads me to another question: I do a 5 gal batch with OG 1.075 and use 1 smackpack with no issues. Thats basically the same amt of yeast and sugar as a 10 gal batch of the Centennial Blonde, so why wouldn't 1 smackpack work for 10 gals? Perhaps I'm not thinking clearly?

Komo,

One smack pack in five gallons of 1.075 wort is severely under pitching! Sure it'll ferment, but you'll get tons of unwanted phenols. I don't even think two smack packs would be enough. It might appear that the ferment was fine with that little yeast, especially if it was an ester-y yeast, but it's good practice to pitch right. You shouldn't be allowed to brew 10 gallon batches without a starter system, unless you wan to pay $30 in yeast every batch.

How many people are planning to keep this permanently on tap this spring/summer?! Seems like a great all-around beer for everyone, and a great thirst quencher :)

I keep at least 2 kegs in my keezer all the time (try too anyway).

I've been keeping this on tap, too, lol. I have a question and I know I have seen it on this thread but I'm too lazy to look for it. I was wondering about putting some frozen apricot on the other 6 gallon of this I have that has just got done fermenting, any thoughts?

Back