So hard not to peek...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm almost done with day 5 of my first brew, a clone if Fullers ESB. Even now I see a bubble from time to time in the airlock. I want to open that baby up and see what's been happening in there!

Pelican521 said:
Okay, so I'm almost done with day 5 of my first brew, a clone if Fullers ESB. Even now I see a bubble from time to time in the airlock. I want to open that baby up and see what's been happening in there!

It will be hard to resist tat temptation ... But you will benefit from waiting 2 more weeks!! Stay strong by drinking a craft beer ... You need to build up your bottle supply anyhow!!

I know the feeling. Ale Pails are tough. I cheated recently...instead of removed the lid and risking oxidation and infection I removed the airlock and gasket and took a small peek, then sanitized with StarSan and replaced.

I think I might invest in a better bottle or carboy soon.

Yup. One peek wont hurt. Also, buy a better bottle. Then you can take naps next to your fermenting goodness and roll over and take a peek whenever you want and not have to take the airlock off.

To be honest, you're not going to ruin it if you take a peek. There's a blanket of CO2 covering the beer which should keep out oxygen but it won't keep everything out however it'll do for a quick peek. It might even calm you down a bit. It took me about three batches to stop wanting to peek. Now a month without opening it is a walk in the park.

I remember my first batch. Just over a year ago, and I remember peeking and having such fear that I ruined everything. It was such a no-no thing to do. I finally confessed to the friend who got me into brewing and he laughed. Told me eventually I'd stop wanting to peek but it probably didn't ruin the beer.

Now if you REALLY want to see what's going on, use a glass carboy. It you only have a 5-gallon, do a 2.5 gallon batch. Heck, it does't even have to be good. Just some LME and hops boiled together, and whatever yeast you want to throw in there. Be cheap about it. Once it gets going you'll be mesmorized. If you don't have a 5-gallon carboy, go get a one gallon one. They're only a few bucks and you can make an even smaller "watch-me" beer.

I know the feeling. Ale Pails are tough. I cheated recently...instead of removed the lid and rising oxidation and infection I removed the airlock and gasket and took a small peek, then sanitized with StarSan and replaced.

I think I might invest in a better bottle or carboy soon.

Your risk of oxidation is pretty low. CO2 is heavier than air and will form a blanket on top of the beer. Infection, especially after there's alcohol, is still pretty low from just looking. Unless your eyes shoot lactobacillus, in which case you may want to see a doctor.

CCericola said:
Your risk of oxidation is pretty low. CO2 is heavier than air and will form a blanket on top of the beer. Infection, especially after there's alcohol, is still pretty low from just looking. Unless your eyes shoot lactobacillus, in which case you may want to see a doctor.

That's been the hardest for me, Not To Peak!!! Lol!!! But now that I seen this thread, I'll take a quick peek!!!

There's nothing wrong with peeking. Hell, I took a peek today......

IMG_0750.jpg

Back