BM23C - 2.5" tower to 3" to add faucets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irish_brewer

Reaction score
I managed to score a BM23C, all stainless for a steal from a local auction. Cleaned it up and it works great, the only downfall is the 2.5" tower. Since the kegerator holds up to 4 hb kegs at a time, I was hoping to expand to a 3 or 4 faucet setup but its going to be a challenge. The tap tower sits up on a ledge that is only 4 1/4" wide making the standard 3" tower flange a no go (see pic of a similar unit). I could go the PVC route and paint it black, but that takes away from the unit being all stainless. I've considered cramming some faucets in the tower myself, but the tower is a bit rough and seems like it might actually be plastic so replacing it might be a good idea anyways. Perhaps there is a 3" tower out there with a smaller flange? I've contacted Jeff @ acumetalfab as well so we'll see what they say. Anyone have any suggestions?

$T2eC16hHJIQE9qUHu0VFBP7cGpYOcQ~~60_57.jpg

You can have the top capped with a larger cylinder. Or you could have the tower go to the left or the right.

I have thought about doing the T tower thing, but I'd have to fab something up which I'm sure would not match very nice. The issue with capping the top with one of those extensions is that they all seem to be made for the 3" tower. Hopefully I can get something decided on before my Bev-Seal Ultra gets here.

I've decided to take a crack at adding the taps to my faucet myself via a step bit and some patience. Its going to be a tight fit, but I ordered some 90 degree shanks from AHB along with some Perlick 525ss since I already have a 575ss creamer. The bit is from Amazon, a Neiko that was suggested elsewhere on HBT that seems to be cheap and have positive reviews by home brewers. Hoping for the best!

Everything showed up on Friday and I managed to drill out the tower Saturday. I forgot to buy tap handles for the faucets so I'll have to get over to the LHBS and grab some before I post a pic of the completed tower. I used Bev Seal Ultra for the lines using the heatgun method to get them on the barbed connections which only took 15-20 mins leaving me with just the right amount of space for the tower cooling hose. I mounted the faucets 60 degrees off center since there wasn't much room, with one about a half inch lower than the other. I was going for the same height, measured twice then cut the hole only to find out it was off somehow....divine intervention perhaps? I also grabbed a can of flat black I had on hand and painted the tower top since it was chipped and looking terrible. Overall I think things worked out quite well, now I just have to solve my drain problem.

I know this is an older thread, but I recently came across the same model, and wanted to post this for anyone trying to figure out the same thing. A 3" diameter tower with foam insulation or neoprene will fit directly over the existing 2.5" tower. So I simply shortened the tower, and slid a new double tap with extension over it.

I'll post pictures once the project is a little more cleaned up, but this is a very quick and easy way to do this without any new drilling, and as a bonus you're getting even more insulation for your draft lines to keep cold.

I'd be interested in some pictures. I just recently bought another BM23C-SS for $200 to replace a Danby I've been using for fermenting and storage. Sold the Danby for $200 so I'd say its a great upgrade :mug: I probably won't bother adding taps to this one, but figured I should post pics of my first one so anyone with one of these would have an idea of how things fit. Better late than never.

IMG_20150825_153949.jpg

Back