American IPA Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the Detroit Tigers game Sunday night...did you know they have Two Hearted for sale there? Yup, just bring your 7 dollars for 12 oz., I did! And, no regrets, what a place to have your favorite beer!
2HA-at-Tigers.jpg

So, on Labor Day Monday - I bottled my 2nd batch of 2HA clone.
bottled-up.jpg

I put 12 ounces in a clear bottle just to be able to examine the fruits of my labor.
clear-bottle.jpg

For someone who has done the extract version of this, how did it turn out??

Jhoss said:
Went to the Detroit Tigers game Sunday night...did you know they have Two Hearted for sale there? Yup, just bring your 7 dollars for 12 oz., I did! And, no regrets, what a place to have your favorite beer!

So, on Labor Day Monday - I bottled my 2nd batch of 2HA clone.

I put 12 ounces in a clear bottle just to be able to examine the fruits of my labor.

That looks like a heck of a great beer! Can't wait to get mine in the keg this weekend. So lucky to have a bar down the street that has this on tap when I run out.

tomorrow I'll be trying an IPA for the first time, would (assuming I match the IBUs) using a mixture of Apollo (mainly for bittering) Colombus and Williamette give me good results with this recipe? I thought I had centennial but it was colombus...

Good results as in a decent IPA rather than a clone of this of course :eek:

Hanglow said:
tomorrow I'll be trying an IPA for the first time, would (assuming I match the IBUs) using a mixture of Apollo (mainly for bittering) Colombus and Williamette give me good results with this recipe? I thought I had centennial but it was colombus...

Good results as in a decent IPA rather than a clone of this of course :eek:

70% Columbus and 30% Cascade is said to get you Centennial.

Brewed on 8-25, and took a gravity reading tonight. It's sitting at 1.008 (started at 1.055) so not too bad there, but I didn't really taste the hops like I was hoping. Thinking I am going to dry hop with a full ounce.

TBaGZ said:
Brewed on 8-25, and took a gravity reading tonight. It's sitting at 1.008 (started at 1.055) so not too bad there, but I didn't really taste the hops like I was hoping. Thinking I am going to dry hop with a full ounce.

I go with 3 on all my IPA's, makes a big difference. I have hops to spare though, I'd go a minimum of 1oz though.

Centennial is a little scarce around here and I was only able to get my hands on 5oz. The original recipe calls for a half ounce so I figure a whole ounce will work (I hope).

My friend and I are brewing this today. Using 6oz of centennial, 3oz for dry hopping. This is my first brew without a kit so wish me luck, this beer is damn delicious and I hope I can come close.

Last night my friends begged me to brew the NB all grain clone again. They said it was by far, my best beer and they love all my beers (except for the one chick who doesn't like brown ales). So, I have enough grains and hops on hand and my be doing this very soon. How much you bet it doesn't come out as good? Actually, while it might not be an extremely close version, I've tasted many versions from other brewers and they have all been very much enjoyable. I'd be happy to end up with any of them.
This is a relatively cheap recipe to make and one I find is better kegged than bottled but that's just my opinion.

I brewed OP recipe last night, had to go with the Columbus/Cascade blend and subbed flakes barley for Carapils. I usually dumb down recipes a bit to try and save on calories and ABV, it's a problem with three beers on tap. OG came out 1.061, hoping for 1.014 as a final.

Went with a middle of the road route on the THA:
18 lbs 2-Row
4 lbs Vienna
2 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Caramel 20
1 lb Carapils

Same hops...1056 yeast.

Under way...PITA getting my pumps to cooperate and the flow started to recirculate the mash. Rocking and rolling now.

I will never get over how good it smells when mashing grain.

Missed my volume, but got the gravity. I must not have gotten the efficiency I normally get, but no worries. It will be beer. Gravity sample is definitely hoppy.

Pump issues led to a nearly two hour mash and the temp was closer to 148 or so.

jtkratzer said:
Missed my volume, but got the gravity. I must not have gotten the efficiency I normally get, but no worries. It will be beer. Gravity sample is definitely hoppy.

Pump issues led to a nearly two hour mash and the temp was closer to 148 or so.

Gonna be some fermentable wort!

Just brewed this today, my first attempt at all grain BIAB. 90 minute mash at 150 and dipped it in a couple gallons at 170. 1.058 og, I can't wait to see how it turns out. I haven't had Two hearted in days as it's not available on the west coast. This 5 1/2 gallon batch cost me $21 which is pretty awesome. I love all grain!

Where are you buying your ingredients porky_pine? That is very cheap for the grains, let alone, yeast and hops.

At Brew Brothers in Hillsboro Oregon. It's an extra ten minute drive from my nearest LHBS but well worth the drive because it's so much cheaper.

yeah... we but EVERYTHING in bulk... So the grains would have cost us lets say $15 total... 6 oz Centennial around $7.50
yeast packet, $4.00. I just may drive there too. :) If we had to buy this by the lb and ounce it would have doubled easily

At Brew Brothers in Hillsboro Oregon. It's an extra ten minute drive from my nearest LHBS but well worth the drive because it's so much cheaper.

You must be the one who took all the Centennial...i finished the job for you ;)

Gonna have to do this with whole leaf hops...their Centennials are listed @ 11.6 Alpha, which is way higher than the recipe uses @ 9.5...according to beersmith i should use .85oz instead of 1oz for each drop during the boil with these. If i used them straight up in equal quantities Beersmith puts me up way at like 62.1 IBU or something...never used Beersmiths adjust bitterness button before...gotta say thats pretty nice ;)

Im thinking of doing this one with Nottingham, someone had mentioned somewhere in this thread about possibly mashing at a higher temp to make up for the dryness that Nottingham can have? Any other words on that? Otherwise was planning on just following it at 150.

Also 2oz of my hops came from a different shop locally that are super fresh, they dont even know what the AA is yet. Because of this i am thinking of using those 2oz as my dry hops since the AA wont really matter at that point, but the super fresh floral/citrus might be over the top with 2oz of fresh leaf hops? Never dry hopped before.

I actually bought leaf hops at Brew Brothers. I'm not too worried about the extra IBU's, this is my first all grain beer and that was one thing I forgot to calculate. I like bitter beers anyways.

I just brewed this but man did it turn out red. I used organic 2-row , vienna, cara pils, and 20L organic crystal. All in the same ratio as the original post's recipe. I did use a bit more base grain the 2-row to get my OG up to about 1.062 and expect to finish at 1.010 giving the 7% as seen on the real deal. It's very clear wort but also much darker than two hearted and very red I don't get it. I mashed at 151 which dropped to 147 by the end of my mash. Did this in hope of highly fermentable wort to get that 1.010 finish using american ale II. I cant believe how red it is from a half a pound of carmel 20l though.

Ended up brewing this, came out exactly 5 gallons into the bucket not 5.5..not sure how lol..regardless i hit 1.056ish so i am happy.

Racked this ipa to secondary after 4 weeks at 65 with 001 and the sample tasted awesome! Got down to 1.011, overshot my efficiency so it looks like its gonna be around 8%.

Question is it was super clear when I racked it from primary but after dry hopping with 1oz of centennial pellets it looks wrecked now. I am on day 5 of dry hopping and think I will cold crash it for 2 days and then keg and see how it looks? I was thinking about using a fining agent but all I have is Kieselsol which I am not even sure if it will help with the hops...

Also the beast still has airlock activity after 5 weeks! crazy 001...

Must have been the organic... Why the organic?

I just brewed this but man did it turn out red. I used organic 2-row , vienna, cara pils, and 20L organic crystal. All in the same ratio as the original post's recipe. I did use a bit more base grain the 2-row to get my OG up to about 1.062 and expect to finish at 1.010 giving the 7% as seen on the real deal. It's very clear wort but also much darker than two hearted and very red I don't get it. I mashed at 151 which dropped to 147 by the end of my mash. Did this in hope of highly fermentable wort to get that 1.010 finish using american ale II. I cant believe how red it is from a half a pound of carmel 20l though.

Must have been the organic... Why the organic?

Just imagine the line at your local LHBS is about 6 people. Theres 3 more people asking the only compitent people there rediculus questions that they should have researched before they ever walked in a LHBS with the intention of opening their wallets. Then the bin for the 2-row is empty but theres organic 2-row for only a little bit more. I'm sure they could have got me the 2-row I wanted but I would have been there another hour. As for the organic 20L well just because I guess. Now that it's fermenting and the yeast make the wort opaque it does look a lot less red though so hopefully it will stay that way once the yeast floccs out.

Just one more time, this recipe is out-freaking-standing! I had my 2nd bottle from my second batch, they've been in the fridge for a week now. Just Wow! Just to recap the subtleties of my brewing...I missed the OG by 10 or so pts...this batch is only 6% abv....but inspired me to go get a refractometer which I did...I also backed off just a tad on the Centennial, like instead of 60 min addition, I turned that into an FWH and I only dry hopped with 2 ounces instead of 3. This batch is just so drinkable, super pumped about it!

I love the Two Hearted so I think I will brew this up for one of my next brews. This is a long thread, I will try to read it all but what I'm wondering is the recipe on the first post updated to what everyone/most are doing?

Thanks!

I brewed the recipe on the first post but I did a whole ounce of centennial and added an ounce of cascade hops to the dry hop since I had some leftover. It tastes great.

Cant wait to try this in 4-5 weeks, this is the first beer i've really monitored my temps and tried to keep them in the low 60's with a swamp cooler...usually i just let them float in the high 60's which is probably putting the ferm temperature too high.

Brewed on the 14th. Krausen has dropped. I'm giving this until Friday and then I'm dropping the temp into the low 40s to crash it for a week or so and then it's getting legged. Thinking about dry hopping in the kegs, only hopping the first keg until it's kicked and then hopping the second.

jtkratzer said:
Brewed on the 14th. Krausen has dropped. I'm giving this until Friday and then I'm dropping the temp into the low 40s to crash it for a week or so and then it's getting legged. Thinking about dry hopping in the kegs, only hopping the first keg until it's kicked and then hopping the second.

Do you ever notice the vegetal quality some people talk about after dry hopping more than two weeks? My kegs last at least a month so I don't dry hop in the keg.

sivdrinks said:
Do you ever notice the vegetal quality some people talk about after dry hopping more than two weeks? My kegs last at least a month so I don't dry hop in the keg.

Never dry hopped in a keg. Thought about dry hopping for a few days and then pulling it out.

I'm going to brew up my third batch of this on Saturday or Sunday. I can't seem to keep it around for very long once the keg is carbed.

Brewed the fourth batch of the year of this recipe on Sunday. Always comes out great. This time I used pacman yeast instead of 1056 to see how much different the final product is.

I've also used the same grainbill with an all amarillo and an all cascade version. Both were really good!

brewtus_ said:
Brewed the fourth batch of the year of this recipe on Sunday. Always comes out great. This time I used pacman yeast instead of 1056 to see how much different the final product is.

I've also used the same grainbill with an all amarillo and an all cascade version. Both were really good!

I've never known, what is pacman? Is it just slang for WL001?

Wyeast 1764-PC ROGUE Pacman Yeast
Beer Styles: American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, American Brown Ale, Brown Porter, Cream Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strong Scotch Ale, Dry Stout, American Stout, Russian Imperial Stout, American IPA, Imperial IPA, American Barleywine, Fruit Beer, Spice/Herb/or Vegetable Beer, Christmas/Winter Specialty Spice Beer, Other Smoked Beer, Wood-Aged Beer
Profile: A versatile yeast strain from one of Oregon’s leading craft breweries. Pacman is alcohol tolerant, flocculent, attenuates well and will produce beers with little to no diacetyl. Very mild fruit complements a dry, mineral finish making this a fairly neutral strain. Pacman’s flavor profile and performance makes it a great choice for use in many different beer styles.

Floydsview said:
Wyeast 1764-PC ROGUE Pacman Yeast
Beer Styles: American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, American Brown Ale, Brown Porter, Cream Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strong Scotch Ale, Dry Stout, American Stout, Russian Imperial Stout, American IPA, Imperial IPA, American Barleywine, Fruit Beer, Spice/Herb/or Vegetable Beer, Christmas/Winter Specialty Spice Beer, Other Smoked Beer, Wood-Aged Beer
Profile: A versatile yeast strain from one of Oregon’s leading craft breweries. Pacman is alcohol tolerant, flocculent, attenuates well and will produce beers with little to no diacetyl. Very mild fruit complements a dry, mineral finish making this a fairly neutral strain. Pacman’s flavor profile and performance makes it a great choice for use in many different beer styles.

Thanks! I've only been brewing about 2 years but have never seen it.

Latest posts

Back