Using 2 pumps at the same time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willeck2

Reaction score
I've got a fairly basic question. I'm upgrading my brew system, and I now have 2 March 815 pumps. I am wondering about running both pumps at the same time. Will they need to be plugged into separate circuits? Or can they run at the same time on the same circuit? I brew out of my garage, and there are only 2 outlets in there, both on the same circuit.

I've got a fairly basic question. I'm upgrading my brew system, and I now have 2 March 815 pumps. I am wondering about running both pumps at the same time. Will they need to be plugged into separate circuits? Or can they run at the same time on the same circuit? I brew out of my garage, and there are only 2 outlets in there, both on the same circuit.

I'm wondering about two pumps running at the same time as well. As in, "why would you ever need two pumps running at the same time?"

The only thing I can think of is if you're draining the MLT into a BK with pump #1 while pump #2 is draining the HLT into the MLT while you're fly sparging.

^^^ Yup... I use two pumps for that as well. on a single-tier system you really need two.

Also you could be using one to recirculate your Mash through a RIMS while using one to recirculate your sparge water through another RIMS in the HLT.

You should be able to run 2 on a 15 amp circuit with no problem.
(Unless you have a lot of other stuff on the same circuit)

Ed

Fly sparring is exactly why I'm asking. That is the only time I think I would be running both pumps, also maybe when I'm running cleaner through the system after a brew. So can anyone tell me if I'll need to run an extension cord into my house to pick up on another circuit?

Thanks Ed, I didn't think that two pumps would overload a circuit, but I'm no electrical genius. I thought that I'd previously read something about 2 pumps being too much for one circuit, but I looked all day and couldn't find it, so I figured I'd ask others who have already done it.

Thanks Scott, I was hoping to be able to be able to wire both pumps to 1 outlet attached to my brew stand, and then just have a plug running from the outlet to plug into one of my wall plugs.

+1

I run two pumps off of one circuit ALL the time.

Superbrewday 039.jpg

you should have no problems at all running two pumps at the same time on one circuit....we actually have 6 809's running right now off of one circuit...it may pop the breaker if i tried to start them all at the same exact time...but one at a time is no issue at all..

Back