First Beer Buzz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yuri_Rage said:
Bud Ice right after it came out. I thought it was nasty back then but had nothing to compare it to. Turns out I couldn't have been more correct.
That is what everyone always wanted to get kegs of because it had "more alcohol". We could have just gotten a double IPA.:drunk:

Went to the drive-in movies with some guys in high school, '71 I think. We had 16 ounce Budweiser in cans. I hammered down two of them in very short order.

In very short order I was the one hammered. I got out of the car, began to puke my brains out, and the security guards for the theatre spotted me.

He made us dump all our beer on the ground and leave the theatre. Needless to say, I was not the most popular guy in the group that night.

I woke up with my very first (and very worst) hangover. I don't think my parents noticed, even though I wasn't much help that next day.

What fun!:drunk:

:mug: My Dad and his partner would always forget about the extra Miller High Life in the back of his truck, we would hide them under his boat for about three hot summer days and then drink them. Finally figured to put them in outside freezer and then enjoy them:mug: He would drink Canadian Club in winter.:ban:

Two Black Labels along with at least one good belt outa everything my old man had in the cupboard. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I was very wrong about that.

MGD a few times in HS. Didn't really drink till sophomore year of college, and my first night getting drunk was on Miller Lite. Got into craft brew pretty quickly, when I could afford it.

Back when I was a kid living in Atlanta. You could not sell Coors beer east of the Mississippi River (al la Smokey and the Bandit). Dad on a business trip brought several cases home. A Friend and I stole enough to get buzzed, I was about 10. (mmm warm Coors!) However this was not the first time I ever had beer. I used to get "sippies" of dads Bud.
I have never bought Coors or Coors light. I recall that I didn't like the taste even then. (But I did like Bud) silly isn't it!
Thank you for this thread I haven't thought about this for years!

i was about 8 years old. my cousin was about 11 years old. we were at my other cousins house (his older brother) and there was some budwieser cans in the fridge. i remember having to hold my nose, and take quick, small gulps, followed by huge gasps of air just to get it down. i also remember thinking to myself, "man, how can people actually drink this stuff," thinking that beer truly was an acquired taste, later on i realised that it was just because it was budwieser. :ban:

The first beer buzz I ever got was from my own homebrew at 17 haha.

I used to just drink spirits or cider, got my homebrew set up to make cider, made the beer kit that came with it first and that got my started on my love for beer.

For a cheap 'lager' kit and kilo it wasn't too bad but my beer experience was nil so I wouldn't have known at the time.

I can't remember the brand. All I remember was it was a 40 oz bottle, maybe Bud. One of our gang of friends had a much older sister. It got to be a little bit of a habit. We'd pile into my car, drive to the neighboring town, pick up the beers, slam them and then go to the movies.

Mine was from a keg at a party in HS - I assume it was Miller Lite since that's pretty much the beer of choice in my part of the world. Honestly, I wasn't much of a beer drinker until my 30s.

Ah, my 9th birthday, my parents bought my friend and I a twelve of MGD. We proceeded to kill it while hanging out in our travel trailer. The next day we had to clean out all the puke... to this day we don't know which one of us did the puking but we shared the clean up duties.

I guess Miller was popular a while, I mean, a WHILE ago. But, that's what it was too. Miller Pony Bottles, remember those? And like others, I still kind of like that beer. It was a cool experience though. My dad was a drinker and I had mentioned that my buds wanted to drink some beer. So, he called up the parents and got their permission. We had a trailer in the back yard so he let us set up camp there. He took everybodies car keys and got us a cooler full of Miller ponies. Of course, dear ol' Dad helped us drink it, but it was kind of cool. That's when I understood the meaning of drinking responsibly. We all got pretty smashed that night and I remember the hangover. Not as bad as now, 25 years later. That was around 1979.

Ahh what a great thread this is. My first buzz was from Lord Calvert that someone left at one of the huge Halloween parties my parents used to have at their house. I doubt I was older than 10. Those parties must have been huge, but I don't know because they always made me stay with my grandmother that night, but the house was always messed up like crazy when I went back home and it wasn't uncommon for many bottle of liquor to be accidentally left there. They quit having these parties after they owned a bar in our small town because it would have been stupid to have it at the house rather than the bar and take away your own business.

First beer buzz was probably Budweiser when I was about 14. Never liked it, but liked the buzz. Eventually I developed a taste for it though, I remember my later years in high school thinking that a Budweiser in a bottle was the greatest thing ever. Now I think it sucks after discovering real beer.

It was either Burgie (GREAT mascot- The Old Pro!) or my Dad's homebrew. Early to mid 50's, so the homebrewery was a bathtub in the basement, w/Blue Ribbon extract, and Red Star yeast. I was too little to remember, but everyone else does! My brother knew how to open the bottles so we had some. Lotsa barf and sleep! Gotta love drinking parents! I do remember, from a little later, that that HB was very good. But so were ALL the sips I used to get.

Sully

Oh man, good question. I don't think I remember?!? I do remember me, my cousin and these three brothers hanging out. Funny thing was the three guys were triplets, so I saw six of them. :D I do remember that it was some cheap beer lol.

I was in junior high and my buddy's dad used to drink Pig's Eye.

pigseye.jpg

Ugh, I get nauseous thinking about it. :drunk:

I'm pretty sure it would have been Busch light. It's the drink of choice in NE IA. Sure am glad I've grown up :D

I can't remember my first beer buzz.

I drank a ton of Mickey's Malt Liquor my first time in college. We would beer bong it with a shot of Southern Comfort. If I tried that now, I would probably die.

New Years Eve 1985. 16 Years old at a party the guy had Lowenbraugh (sp) in a pony keg. First real drunk was Kesslers. Puked in the front law on the nice cool grass. Never mix Kesslers and french onion chip dip :cross:

My first beer buzz was from corona during a new years party when I was 17. Someone stole them all from the back of a grocery store, and I think we had 12 cases that got thrown in the bathtub of a hotel room with ice. I must have drank about a dozen, and never got sick, but felt terrible the next day. I guess it was a pretty good first drunk night.

Just that. No light, ice or whatever in the 70's (Ummm, 77 I think). A new chick moved into the neighborhood from the city (NY) and these country boys were trying to impress her. Somehow we got a case and everyone got a 6'r. Drank em all and before I knew it she was gone somewhere. We stumbled around and fell in the lake, John lost his shoes somewhere. John had a paper route and the chick's mom drove us around in the back of her pickup delivering papers. Burping foam and puking a little the whole way while dropping papers onto people's driveways. Had to wash out the back of her truck the next day.

You're kidding, right??? I can't remember yesterday, much less 30 some-odd years ago. I'll take a wild stab and say Augsburger, warm. That's what my dad drank in his later years and he never refridgerated it.

My mom still tells a story about when I was 5... My babysitter walked into the kitchen to find me slurping the last of a 16oz bottle (stroh's I think) with a straw. The babysitter exclaimed "what are you doing?!" and I replied candidly "I felt like having a beer". When my mom got home she said I was ripping drunk :drunk:

As for the first buzz I remember, that would be old milwaukee. We used to save our lunch money to buy a case of old mud on the weekend. A special thanks goes out to those 21 y/o folks who bought it for us. :mug:

Bud @ 14 yrs and it was nasty; thank God homebrewing didn't occur to me. I would have never left the house.

Mutilated1 said:
Mine was Miller High Life, I was in the 5th grade and on an overnight camping trip with the boy scouts.
Glad someone else had that experience.... My first drink was vodka out of a water bottle on a boy scout camping trip :D with about 10 of us sharing maybe 2 shots worth, it didn't do much. My first buzz wasn't until college when I polished off 1/2 a bottle of 151 my first night in town. I have learned to keep the volumes down since then....

I didn't get buzzed off of beer until I was well past the drinking age. I tried it a few times in high school and college but couldn't stand it to drink more than half a can and at 200+ lbs thats not going to do much. The little bit I did drink was usually some kind of liquor or mixed drink.
I'm not sure exactly when it was but I'm fairly sure it was at a brewpub in Massachusetts when I was living up there, where I just had to try several different beers. 16oz craft beers add up real quick. :drunk:
Craig

My first was Olympia. But, this thread reminded me of all the crazy cheap beer I used to drink in high school including, Rhinelander, Tuborg, Hamms (or even better Hamms Dry), Raineer, Lucky Lager. Gotta say that I had a real affinity for the Hamms in the short grenade bottles.

I got buzzed off of good old Rainier Beer when I was 10. We were at our cabin on the Wenatchee river. Man I thought it tasted good! Must have been those Artesians!! :)

Someone told me once if you can remember the first time you got drunk and on what you probably have a drinking problem.

food for thought.

how is that for being high and mighty.

btw......coors light........i was 16

casper0074 said:
My mom still tells a story about when I was 5... My babysitter walked into the kitchen to find me slurping the last of a 16oz bottle (stroh's I think) with a straw. The babysitter exclaimed "what are you doing?!" and I replied candidly "I felt like having a beer". When my mom got home she said I was ripping drunk :drunk:

Stroh's? Awesome! Just kidding, I am suprised you ever tried beer again :p

Back