Use for spent grains..??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester

Reaction score
I have heard of people doing things with there spent grains after brewing. A few said they bake bread and I even think someone said something about granola bars. Is this really possible?? If so, does anyone have any links to pages that explain how to do this? Thanks again for everyone help.

Jester

Jester said:
I have heard of people doing things with there spent grains after brewing. A few said they bake bread and I even think someone said something about granola bars. Is this really possible?? If so, does anyone have any links to pages that explain how to do this? Thanks again for everyone help.
I throw them in the compost bin, and eventually they get reincarnated as fresh vegetables.

I'd think that bread baked with spent grain and husks would have some highly colonic properties...you might need a blowoff tube! :eek:

BlindLemonLars said:
I throw them in the compost bin, and eventually they get reincarnated as fresh vegetables.

Yeah, I throw mine on hot rocks in the front yard. They quickly get reincarneted as deer pebbles. :D

I spread mine on the grass in my back yard.
Never had a problem with smell, and I think the grass likes it.
I batch sparge and my second and final runoff is usually 1.020+
Still have some goodies in them there grains.

EdWort said:
Yeah, I throw mine on hot rocks in the front yard. They quickly get reincarneted as deer pebbles. :D

I have been spreading them in my side flower bed, but lately they've been smelling horrible... I don't have deer, so only flies have been enjoying the grains... heheheheeee... the neighbors are getting frustrated with 100s of flies lingering in the area... heheheeee... maybe i'll offer them some spent grain bread to make up for it... heheheee

I make my own beer bread out of it, its very tasty.

With the grains from my Strawberry Blonde this past weekend, I made a pizza dough and we made some pizza pockets.

Heh, the deer around my area are pretty cowardly, except when the crabapple trees are in. Then they suddenly find a new source of courage and determinedly munch away. Seems like yours are cousins. :D

MriswitH said:
I make my own beer bread out of it, its very tasty.

With the grains from my Strawberry Blonde this past weekend, I made a pizza dough and we made some pizza pockets.

How did you make the pizza dough...?? and what do you normally add for your bread..?? Thanks again...

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned dog biscuits. Take a couple cups of grain, a cup of Peanut butter, an egg and enough flour to make it come together in a stiff dough. Roll to desired thickness and bake on a cookie sheet ~ 325* for 30 minutes or until the dough just starts to dry out. Remove from oven and cut into shapes. Put the shapes back into the oven and reduce the heat to ~ 200* for 8-12 hours to completely dry them out. This is very important as if there is any moisture left in there at all, they'll mold. I usually just let it go overnight. They'll keep for weeks in a sealed container, but they usually don't last that long. My dog Casey loves them.

does everyone use the grains right after your done mashing..?? or do you dry them out somehow...??

When brew day is over I scoop out some of the spent grains-about a cup or so at a time and put them in a zip bag and freeze them. Then wifey pulls them out, lets them thaw and then makes bread in the bread machine. It's quite good. The rest go to the ducks and deer. I also save what's left in the brew kettle in 1qt. mason jars and freeze them for future yeast starters.

Jester said:
does everyone use the grains right after your done mashing..?? or do you dry them out somehow...??

Mine go from Mash Tun to hot rocks in the front yard. A quick rinse and I let it air dry till the next brew.

Jester said:

If you use them wet, say in bread, you'll have to back out some liquid from your recipe. I've done that by guessing, but maybe the wetted grain absorption calculation will yield the proper amount....

Anyone know that off the top of their head?

Jester said:

Jester

Hogs and chickens really like 'em. :)

Are you into gardening? Spread them in there and till them into the soil. They're better than sphagnum moss. May I add they are an excellent soil builder.

Back