Spent grain chocolate chip cookies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
My wife found this recipe while I was doing a big RIS with 30# of grain. Link to recipe on omnomicon.com.

These are *delicious*. I expected to be picking rice hulls out of my teeth, but they're actually very soft and cakey. Today, the day after they were baked, the flavor of the specialty grains is really coming out. With all of that black and chocolate malt, these have a lot of character.

We're trying two different versions of spent grain beer bread: one batch we're processing the grains in the food processor, the other just dumping them in.

-Joe

grain_cookies.jpg

Just opened the bread after letting it rest an hour or so. zOMG so delicious! :) My wife had to restrain me from eating them both at once. Like the cookies, the husks and rice hulls aren't a problem, even in the one that didn't go through the food processor.

The recipe is based on this one from Beer Advocate. The recipe seems to assume that you have some bread making experience - it leaves rising times up to you. Here are the things I would change, being an experienced bread maker:

I thought it was a little salty, so I might go down to 1/2 to 3/4 of a Tb. Your tastes may vary.

Not a change, but note that you can pop the initial sponge into the fridge overnight if you have to.

The 5 cups of flour specified in the recipe is just a starting point - since my grain was wet, I needed a LOT more flour. I used 5 cups of bread flour and the rest was all-purpose. Just keep adding it until you get a kneadable dough.

Rising: I did about 1hr 15min for the first rise until the dough looked about doubled. I followed the directions in the recipe and put the loaves in a cold oven right after shaping, turning the oven to 400 after they were in. I would change this and do a rise after shaping. That would prevent the wild blowouts I got. Then slash the top and pop in a pre-heated oven.

-Joe

grain_bread5.jpg

grain_bread6.jpg

Back