Showing My Dedication (to temp control)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzlybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am a very strong proponent of ferm temp control making better beer. To exhibit my devotion to that aspect of brewing, I offer the following:

The recent weather changes caught me by surprise and I found myself with my APA creeping into dangerous territory. I have been spoiled by the cooler temps all winter in the house and have put off putting my ferm chamber back into action (it functions as 2nd refrigerator in the winter).

I found my APA fermenting at 70 deg and creeping towards 72 and new I had to do something... Thus began toting the 6.5 gal carboy down a flight of stairs and placing it in the fridge for a 2 hr sit to drop 4 deg, then back up to the sanitary ferm home upstairs. I had to make a second trip yesterday afternoon and anticipate a third today. After tha, I figure I'll let it finish at warmer if it wants to.

I hope my beer rewards me when it's all grown up... we'll see.

I think consistency is more important that a specific number, I wouldn't want to subject it to 38 degrees for 2 hours after being at room temp. The idea is to maintain a specific temp with slight adjustments to not shock the yeast.

just my opinion though, take it for what it's worth but is your basement colder than upstairs? maybe that is where you should ferment at.

Back