Need to fill kegs, but with what??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJherman

Reaction score
Im moving 1200 miles in 19 days. i have two empty 5 gal kegs. can anyone suggest some recipes that will be ready to rack for conditioning in two weeks or less? i am only familiar to extract brewing or partial mashing. any suggestions??

Any beer with an OG of 1.050 or less, just not a beer that needs dryhopping. Let it sit in the fermenter for two weeks, then keg. Then move. You'll have beer when you get to move in!

Specifically, I'd recommend an ale. I think you could do a stout, a mild, a hefeweizen, an American wheat, a Belgian pale ale, English bitter, American amber, a cream ale, witbier, nut brown ale, etc. If you pitched enough yeast, and kept the temperatures in the optimum range, any of those would be ready to keg (and then age) in two weeks.

Hefeweizen

Enough wheat extract to get you to 1.050, 1oz of Hallertauer @ 60min, Wyeast 3068, 2 weeks at 65F, transfer to the keg. Do what I did when I just moved. Prime the keg. That way, it will be fully carbonated by the time you are ready to start drinking at your new destination.

Blood orange Hefeweizen from Extreme Brewing states it should be ready to bottle/keg in ten days. I haven't made it so I can't speak to it, but do a search on the site, I'm sure enough people have.

you folks are awesome. im brewing the blood orange hefe tonight fo-show. now just have to find one more to brew....decisions decisions. oh...i think im freaking obsessed with the whole brewing thing. a majority of my work day consists of reading this forum. DJ

oh...i think im freaking obsessed with the whole brewing thing. a majority of my work day consists of reading this forum. DJ

You and me both dude. Keep me posted on how that Hefe turns out, as well as any changes you did to the recipe ect... I'm thinking of brewing that bad boy in anticipation of my upcoming birthday, as I happen to really like wheat beers.

Back