Feedback on my "steamed" pilsner U

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Braski

Reaction score
Alright this is my first recipe that I have ever pieced together so if there is anything completely out of whack with this just let me know. It's a mini-mash recipe.

8 oz. Belgium Pilsen Malt
8 oz. German Pilsen Malt
4 0z. Munich Malt

5 lbs. Extra light DME

4 oz. Saaz hops (whole)
1 oz. dry

Irish Moss

Wyeast 2112 cali lager

Not sure what temp fermentation will be exactly, but hopefully a little under 60 degrees. I have no way of getting a controlled temp.

Hopping looks a little high for the style, but if you're doing a partial boil, it might be ok. What size is your mashtun? It will be hard to do a mash with so few grains. I would at least double (probably quadruple) the three grains, and cut maybe a pound off the extract.
You can decoct a portion of the grains for a richer pils flavor. Listen to the brewing network show about decotion if you have time- 3 hrs well spent. www.thebrewingnetwork.com/archives

I have found whirlfloc tablets to be more effective and easier to use than irish moss. Not that moss is hard to use or ineffective, I've just had clearer results w/ the whirlfloc.

The other thing of concern would be the temp. 60 should be your absolute maximum. But with the cali yeast it might be pretty good. Not clean for the style but If you like it thats all that matters!

Suggested:
2 lb Belgium Pilsen Malt
2 lb German Pilsen Malt
1 lb Munich Malt

4 lbs. Extra light DME

4 oz. Saaz hops (whole)
1 oz. dry <----- I would take these out as well, just for style.

It sounds like it will be pretty tasty whatever ya do. Remember - your making beer! Good luck, Bill! :mug:

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I might have misspoke when I said "mini-mash". I get the grains from AHB that are already milled and steep them in about 150 degree water before boiling and adding the extract, etc. I have no mashtun, sadly. And yes, it is a partial boil.

I'm also a little confused about fermenting a lager at warmer temps. I've read many places that you use lager yeast at about 50-60 degrees or so, but I've also read about just using ale yeast. What effect is ale yeast going to have on the brew?

If I can't guarantee a temp below 60, should I just go with the ale yeast to be safe?

I'm definately not looking for a Pilsner Urquell clone. I want something similar, but different.

Maybe 1/2 half ounce of dry-hopped Saaz?

I've heard that Kolsch yeast gives relativly clean flavors at highier temperatures...any one else hear that?

The Cali yeast would be good at 60 (spec is 58-68), but if that would be an aggressive estimate on the temperature, then use an ale out ale yeast. I cannot speak from experience, having never used the cali lager yeast.

A lager yeast is a lot slower to ferment (at the proper temps.) and leaves behind a lot less fruity byproducts in the finished beer, which in turn lets the malt and hop flavors come through. That's why the hopping is a little high for a lager, because it is much clearer so the same hopping amounts are noticed moreso.

You're not locked to any style so why not try it. Your original recipe looked fine before I screwed with it. I just made it a lil' closer to the style default and changed some stuff assuming a PM. You won't get any sugars from plsen or munich w/o mashing, so keep the malt at 5lbs, maybe even 6 with that hopping. The malt will balance it out a bit. If you like hoppier beers, use the recipe ya started with.

I just used this yeast, I bottled on Sunday. I think the yeast temp range is 58-64. I sat it in a closet in the basement and it fermented well with no off flavors or smells, yet :)

It does look like a lot of hops. I only used 2 oz total and I think I was in the range on beer tools. And with the 2ozs there is a def hop flavor, for me. ... but I am not a hop head so dont usually like really hoppy beers.

Thanks.

So do you think the grain amounts are fine for just steeping, or should I add a little more?

Since it looks like I can go either way with the yeast it looks like it will be a "game time decision".

If I use the lager yeast I will cut back the hops to about 2.5 ounces, or 3-3.5 if I go with the ale yeast.

Bill Braski said:
Thanks.

So do you think the grain amounts are fine for just steeping, or should I add a little more?
For steeping, that should be ok, but if you can fit more pilsen malt in the grain bag, I'd try for that. Maybe another pound of the german pils, and 4 oz of a crystal 20 or 40 would add a nice touch of sweetness.

Bill Braski said:
Since it looks like I can go either way with the yeast it looks like it will be a "game time decision".

If I use the lager yeast I will cut back the hops to about 2.5 ounces, or 3-3.5 if I go with the ale yeast.
Sounds good. Let us know how it turns out.

Back