Transferring Hot Wort For No-Chill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffmeh

Reaction score
I am considering trying to do a no-chill batch. Any recommendations regarding how best to transfer the hot wort to an hdpe container? After chilling, I either use an autosiphon or just pour through a funnel into a carboy. Obviously, pouring hot wort through a funnel will not be good due to hot-side aeration. Will the autosiphon be safe to use with the hot wort? I assume I will have to swap out the basic plastic tubing for something more heat resistant.

At some point, I will probably drill out my kettle and add a weldless fitting and spigot, but I am not really looking to do that at this time.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Don't use a siphon unless yours is stainless steel. Plastic will melt. If you don't have a spigot, I would just pour it through a funnel and not worry about hot-side aeration.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry abou HSA. Like he said, don't use your autosiphon. No chill brewing is what made me finally put a weldless spigot on my kettle. Bargainfittings.com is a great place and he's a member of this board.

Back