blueberry or raspberry ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klcramer

Reaction score
I was thinking of putting some blueberries or raspberries in the ale I currently have in my primary. I would add the berryies to the secondary. Should I use fresh or frozen and how much should I add?

Frozen ones have all the interior cell walls desroyed and tend to be juicier. As for how much, I've seen recipes calling for as much as 10 pounds. It's really up to you. If you can find the oregon canned fruit puree, you may want to try that, since it's very consistant, and supposedly works very well.

I've not experienced myself but I was told that if you decide to cook some of the fruits that the pectins can be troublesome. Todate, I've always gone with the frozen ones in primary after the activity has begun to slow and I haven't tried to add any to the boil or mash; maybe someday just to see what happens. 2 lbs. of frozen raspberries gave me a pretty cool brown ale a few months back.

I made a stout using fresh raspberrys that I picked at an orchard. I used 3.5 pounds in the secodary and after 3 weeks is has a wang to it. I am gonna let this one mellow for awhile before drinking.

I did <3# fresh rasberries. I reduced them in a pan. If you do this, do not allow them to boi, as this is when you run into pectin issues. You only need to get them to about 140*F and hold them there for a bit. As stated, frozen berries will yield juice more easily as the freezing process destroys the cell structure.

vodka works well.
I used 2 lbs of dried (rasin like) blueberrys in my wheet and it's ok, if I make it again I would probably double that. It took about 6 months of ageing b4 it was something I really liked to drink . . . well that and for the purple head on the beer to turn white.

Once ya put them into the secondary expect to get another krausen, thats a lot of sugar you're adding, your going to need to throw the brew into a 3rd fermenter to let it settle out again

Back