Corny keg blow off tube rig - on liquid out post?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclejimbay

Reaction score
Corny keg blow off tube rig - on liquid out post?

MY QUESTONS...

1. Does anyone see any potential problems with a 4 gallon batch using a blow off tube on the liquid out hole?

2. Is using the liquid out hole for a blow off instead of the gas in hole an issue?

The beackground info....
I have a surplus of corny kegs that are not in use. I would like to start using 2 of them as fermenters, they are the perfect size to fit in my JC'ed fridge for temp control. 2 corny's, one carboy, and 2-2 gallon test batches fit perfectly all at once.

So I did plenty of research to find the most simple way to attach a blow off tube. I have seen many methods; #3 stopper in the pressure relief valve, keg pasties, kits at online home brew shops.

I played around and I think I want to try attaching some tubing to the liquid out post. My plan is to remove the liquid OUT dip tube and post cap. Attach some vinyl tubing that screws on the threads around the outside of the hole in the keg, then tighten it down with a worm screw clamp.

Advantages;
* easier to clean (no long dip tube)
* provides the largest hole possible for a blow off tube
* Cheap - almost free since I have the corny kegs

Most of the info I have found suggests to use attach the airlock or blow off tube to the GAS IN post.

Setup summary;
* liquid post and dip tube removed (replaced with blow off tube)
* gas post, poppet and dip tube left in place to keep the seal.

I'm confused--why not leave your liquid dip tube in place and affix your vinyl tube the the threads left behind once you remove the gas in post?

Maybe I'm missing something.

I leave the dip tubes in *however i use the gas in side* the o-ring and the inside of the 3/4 ID blow off tube create a nice little seal.

I'm confused--why not leave your liquid dip tube in place and affix your vinyl tube the the threads left behind once you remove the gas in post?

Maybe I'm missing something.

I'm just guessing here, but i suspect you'd have to remove the tube since the tube draws from the bottom and ales ferment on top. If you're worried about blow off it'd be on the top of the beer and would couldn't push down to the bottom and then out.

Back