How many home brewers in US?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Anyone seen a statistic of roughly how many home brewers there are in the US? Always wondered that. Around here there are quite a few people who home brew but living up North, Iowa, I rarely met anyone who did.

The best place I know to look would be the Brewer's Association. I poked around their website, but didn't find anything.

BYO lists "91,000 readers every issue"

So I will assume at least 91k. Seems like quite a few. I thought it would be much lower.

What is the largest home brew forum in regards to membership?

Both of my grandparents on my mother's side are from Canada, which makes me half Canadian, right, oops.. ehy? :confused: :D

TxBrew said:
BYO lists "91,000 readers every issue"

So I will assume at least 91k. Seems like quite a few. I thought it would be much lower.

91k seems like it would be way too low. I'm sure there are a lot of homebrewers that don't subscribe to BYO. I, personally, have never looked at a single issue of the mag, nor have 4 of my friends in OH that homebrew, so...

the 1.2 million quote seems more reasonable to me, but I'd like to know where they get the data from.

-walker

the population of the US is just about 300,000,000, so if there are 1.2 million homebrewers, that's one HB'er for every 300 people.

That 1.2 Million number DOES seem a little high when you look at it that way.

-walker

1 in every 300 doesn't seem too high a percentage - maybe by a tad, but not outlandish. There's enough people in the local homebrew joint every time I go to convince me that there's a decent number anyways. Arguably, only a small percentage of those would be interested to subscribe to BYO or actively talk about it online *eyes the 24 guests curently viewing the boards* ;)

1.2 million would be roughly .4% of the population. that seems reasonable to me.

More importantly, does anybody know from where the AHA derived this stat?

Well, of the 300 million Americans, I think 75 million are kids. A lot of Americans don't drink, etc. When you try to think of incidence, don't just think about people like yourself.

I'm guessing AHA over-estimates, in part because 1 in ~200 adults seems a little high, and in part because that's what groups do.

1 in 300 active homebrewers sounds realistic to me. If you include people who have ever tried homebrewing but don't do it anymore then it is probably more like 1 in 100.

According to the AHA web site:

"It is difficult to determine, but the AHA estimates that nearly 1,000,000 Americans brew beer and make wine at home at least once a year."

I assume they mean brew beer OR make wine. If so, the number of brewers could be significantly less than 1 million.

*eyes the 24 guests curently viewing the boards* ;)

Well 5 1/2 years ago HBT had 24 guests... today it's 1298 viewing.. are there 50 times more homebrewers now than 2006?

Here is a timestamp for this date.... let's see where we are in 2016...Threads: 258,621, Posts: 3,235,864, Members: 85,462

greyhound said:
according to the aha web site:

"it is difficult to determine, but the aha estimates that nearly 1,000,000 americans brew beer and make wine at home at least once a year."

i assume they mean brew beer or make wine. If so, the number of brewers could be significantly less than 1 million.

lol.

Back