Regulator in kegerator question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
I have a dual regulator in the fridge with my CO2 tank. I keep both kegs at around 5-6 PSI for dispensing. My question is that after I dispense the PSI gauge goes down but never seems to recover. Is the CO2 tank supposed to dispense gas if it goes below whatever it was initially set at? And if so could it be the regulator acting up because of the cold temp and the lower pressures related with it? Ive also read that it can take 4 hours for a gauge to change in a fridge, does this mean it could be filling but wont indicate it for a few hours? Any help would be great.

I would try moving it to the outside of the kegerator and see if it's any better.

wedge421 said:
I have a dual regulator in the fridge with my CO2 tank. I keep both kegs at around 5-6 PSI for dispensing. My question is that after I dispense the PSI gauge goes down but never seems to recover. Is the CO2 tank supposed to dispense gas if it goes below whatever it was initially set at? And if so could it be the regulator acting up because of the cold temp and the lower pressures related with it? Ive also read that it can take 4 hours for a gauge to change in a fridge, does this mean it could be filling but wont indicate it for a few hours? Any help would be great.

Dual regulator or dual gauges? Can you still dispense after the PSI gauge drops? If you can still dispense, then you probably have a stuck gauge. After you dispense, you should be able to hear the Co2 tank filling the kegs.

Help us out with some more specifics if this doesn't answer your questions.

Its a dual regulator, it has 2 gauges plus a 3rd gauge indicating the tanks overall fill level. And yes I can dispense after it drops but it definitely slows down. And no I usually don't hear the tank dispense gas after I have dispensed beer. The only time I have noticed the tank dispense gas is when I crank up the CO2 or when I am force carbing by shaking the keg.

Your beer is overcarbed. It sounds like you tried to force carb by cranking up the pressure and doing the shaking.

What's happening is your regulator is actually set lower then you think. You dispense you beer and the pressure drops, but you're regulator isn't letting out any gas because it hasn't dropped to where it is set. The reason why the gauge comes back up is because CO2 is coming out of solution in your keg.

Try pulling the pressure release and letting it sit for a few hours and then pull the release again. It'll probably take 3 or 4 cycles for you to drop enough pressure so you're not overcarbed.

But when I dispense I dont get a huge amount of head or anything. And its not coming out of the tap super fast either? Is there to much CO2 in the empty space of the beer? Is that what you mean? Thanks for the help im gonna try it when I get home.

And if I let all of the carb out will it cause the beer to be flat? Its been on carb for about 2 weeks now.

Back