Costco is all belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob211

Reaction score
Whoa...guess this means beer is finally hitting the big time.

Went into my local Costco today and for the first time I saw pallets and pallets of great beer. They've always had some variety cases and what not of microbrew, but now it's bottles of Chimay Duval, Firestone, Ommegang (3 bottles with their glass), Allagash, North Coast Brewing Brother Thelonius, etc. It was amazing.

Somebody from here get hired as their buyer? :D

I keep waiting for my Costco to get a better selection. We recently visited my wife's grandfather and he had picked up an awesome lambic variety pack from Costco. He's always getting something great there when he knows I'm bringing my beer over.

Very cool!!! I see your from Cali so I'm going to make a trip there this week, good prices???

Went into my local Costco today and for the first time I saw pallets and pallets of great beer. They've always had some variety cases and what not of microbrew, but now it's bottles of Chimay Duval, Firestone, Ommegang (3 bottles with their glass), Allagash, North Coast Brewing Brother Thelonius, etc. It was amazing.

I found this out too!!! Im in Antioch and the Costco near us has Stone by the pallets :ban:. Almost died, they have never carried it before, at least not the one by me.

Just hit costco the other day before a B&B outing with my wife. i went in saying they never have pints of decent craft beer. Had to eat my words! Great surprise! I just see the market rapidly rapdly maturing. if you're still just focusing on the same ole Bud, coors crap your sales have to be suffering!

I hate hearing about this as a Canadian with a Costco right near by that sells nothing alcoholic, ugh.

/Shakes fist at the sky

Why god why!?

I picked up a really nice 24 multipack of Pyramid beers from Costco (Octoberfest, IPA, Wheat, Barleywine) last time I was there. They really have started to pick up on this trend.

Slightly off topic, but the Sam's Club in Chino Hills, CA has 22 oz. bottles of Arrogant Bastard for $3.96 a piece.

MaltnHops said:
Slightly off topic, but the Sam's Club in Chino Hills, CA has 22 oz. bottles of Arrogant Bastard for $3.96 a piece.

Wish I could get it that cheap!!! Lol

is this costco revolution happening everywhere or is it limited to california only?

Oh man, our costco has the single best case of beer I've ever seen. For $32 you get four six packs of Ballast Point: A sixer each of Yellowtail Pale Ale (amazing Kolsch), Calico Amber, Bigeye IPA, and SCULPIN. Freakin fantastic. I'm halfway through my second one.

Costco in Norther CA has some great stuff and down in SD County has some great stuff, not so much in between. The most exotic ours carries is whatever Sam Adams seasonal pack is currently out. In SD I've gotten the mixed 8 pack of Stone bombers for less than Stone sells them for at case prices and in Sana Rosa I saw cases of Deschutes Red Chair (still kicking myself for not grabbing a couple of those).

Oh man, our costco has the single best case of beer I've ever seen. For $32 you get four six packs of Ballast Point: A sixer each of Yellowtail Pale Ale (amazing Kolsch), Calico Amber, Bigeye IPA, and SCULPIN. Freakin fantastic. I'm halfway through my second one.

Why the hell do they call their Kolsch a Pale Ale?? :confused:

In any case, our Costco in Santa Cruz, CA has had some good craft brew packs for a while but I haven't been in lately to see what's on hand. I did see Stone IPA and maybe the Pale Ale there last time but I really wish they would carry Levitation. It seems to be hard to find that one distributed around here anywhere. I would buy it by the flat if I could (although I do enjoy my cloned version of it, too).

According to this quote:

"In a country dominated by lagers of all strengths and colors, the modern Kölsch (the beer) is Germany's only true, all-barley, pale ale. The other German pale ale is, of course, the Bavarian Weissbier or Weizen, made mostly from wheat. Then there is the copper-colored Altbier from Düsseldorf, 25 miles down the river Rhine from Cologne, which is an ale like the Kölsch and usually made entirely from barley. While the British pale ale, or bitter, has become the signature..."

http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/K%F6lsch.html

Kealia said:
Why the hell do they call their Kolsch a Pale Ale?? :confused:

In any case, our Costco in Santa Cruz, CA has had some good craft brew packs for a while but I haven't been in lately to see what's on hand. I did see Stone IPA and maybe the Pale Ale there last time but I really wish they would carry Levitation. It seems to be hard to find that one distributed around here anywhere. I would buy it by the flat if I could (although I do enjoy my cloned version of it, too).

It depends on the Costco. The one in Pentagon City VA has a couple of good imports including European (non-inbev). The Costco's around Boston where MA laws prohibit beer sales outside liquor stores are much less interesting (I guess, unless Sam Adams moves you). And then there are some that don't carry alcohol at all. I noticed the packaging for the Costco (Kirkland Signature) ales has been updated in the last six months, with a lager included. Costco is based out of Washington. They sure love their beer out there.

Awsome news! I've purchased a couple cases of Stone IPA from costco over the past 2 months but if we get the Ballast Point variety here in Ventura, life will be great!

I shop at both the Richmond and Concord CA Costcos, and their alcohol selection is amazing. Aside from the beers I mentioned, they also do a Kirkland house-brand bourbon that's great; I wonder who makes it. And they stock everything from $150+ bottles of wine to our very local winery's stock. Given that, I wouldn't be surprised if they are open to suggestions.

I'd like to get my local Trader Joe's more on top of the beer selection, although they have some good stuff. But I've got lots of local sources, lucky me.

I'm curious about brewers who make stuff for stores under the store's label; Trader Joes has some like that; not sure who brews their stuff. And I noticed that my local Fresh & Easy has a sort of house label beer made by Indian Wells Brewery, a really small place out in Inyokern, CA (smack in the Mojave Desert, surrounded by tortoises and rattlesnakes). Brew to order?

I shop at both the Richmond and Concord CA Costcos, and their alcohol selection is amazing. Aside from the beers I mentioned, they also do a Kirkland house-brand bourbon that's great; I wonder who makes it. And they stock everything from $150+ bottles of wine to our very local winery's stock. Given that, I wouldn't be surprised if they are open to suggestions.

I'd like to get my local Trader Joe's more on top of the beer selection, although they have some good stuff. But I've got lots of local sources, lucky me.

I'm curious about brewers who make stuff for stores under the store's label; Trader Joes has some like that; not sure who brews their stuff. And I noticed that my local Fresh & Easy has a sort of house label beer made by Indian Wells Brewery, a really small place out in Inyokern, CA (smack in the Mojave Desert, surrounded by tortoises and rattlesnakes). Brew to order?

My understanding is the Trader Joes is in part, Firestone Walker. Which makes for a cheap, great beer. TJ also does their winter ale by Unibroue

The Costco beer is Gordon Biersch .

I've been to Indian Wells. I tried everything they had on tap and other than their Lobotomy doppelbock I wasn't too impressed. They all tasted pretty much alike and fairly bland. If you happen to be passing through that way it might be worth a stop, but it's not worth making a dedicated trip.

I miss the California Costco's.....out here in PA/NJ, Costco doesn't sell alcohol
The one in Edison NJ sells booze. They had some craft cristmas gift boxes, but pretty much all the cases are big beer.

They also sell a pretty good kirkland american vodka. 6 times distilled, 1.75L, $13.99 you can barely buy a handle of swill for that.

I've been to Indian Wells. I tried everything they had on tap and other than their Lobotomy doppelbock I wasn't too impressed. They all tasted pretty much alike and fairly bland. If you happen to be passing through that way it might be worth a stop, but it's not worth making a dedicated trip.

I liked the Orange Blossom; thought it was their best. But maybe that's because it was a hot late spring day. Mojave Red is pretty good as well. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area; it's right on the highway. Lotta interesting history thereabouts.

Just got back from the Costco in Rancho Cordova. I couldn't believe my eyes... Delerium Tremens.... 750ML bottles for 9.99 and Unibroue La Fin du Monde for 7.49...

I think the craft beer revolution has started to pick up some steam!:rockin:

Costco is based in Washington state. People take their beer seriously there. Costco (Kirkland Signature) has produced its own beer for years. Not sure if that's revolution. But Unibroue for $7.50 sounds like a fair price. I like their witbier offering. I used to visit Costco religiously for imported german wheat beer when I lived near Virginia, but around Boston, it's not worth the trip.

Sorry, Maryland grocery stores (even Costco) cannot sell alcohol.

Grocery stores on the Eastern Shore of Maryland sell beer. They even have Budweiser in 10oz cans. Not that I buy Bud anymore...but there was that dark period of my life that I did.

I make a point when south of the border to swing i to a Costco. The price break is great for Canadians.
The Kirkland signature vodka (1.75l) used to be distilled in France by grey goose. Not sure if that still holds true. But it was last year in the Hawaiian Costcos. Nice stuff!
Glad to hear the selection is improving.

The vodka was never distilled by Grey Goose, but it was made in a French distillery costco purchased from Grey Goose. The bourbon is from Jim Beam (haven't had it) and around here they only have the 20yo Kirkland Scotch ($45). I'm intrigued, but $45 is a lot to drop on an unknown bottle of scotch.

Back