nubbie to mead (n00b)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techbrewie

Reaction score
So i've been scouring the mead forum because I want to try something new. My question is could i make just a basic mead. let it clarify, then make additions at bottling like spices, fruit, etc. can you stabilize mead like you do wine? What I would like to do is put a 5-6gallon batch together and split them out into groups of 5 bottles (1 gallon per type) at bottling.

Really mostly interested in cysers, melomels, metheglins and show mead.

would this work? or is it better to just make one type at a time :p

You can definitely make a large volume traditional mead and then split to smaller carboys for purposes of secondary and add fruits/spices/herbs at that time. Many mazers do just this because many times the flavors are fermented away during primary phase. BUT, I would make my additions before it clears because what you add may need to clear, so why try to clear a wine twice? You would simply need to decide when to make your additions--allow to ferment dry or add when SG has dropped by so many points? It is done in a wide variety of ways. Mead is stabilized via the same method as wine (k-meta vs k-meta plus sorbate if backsweetening) though some feel that the addition of SO2 is not required due to the properties which honey brings to the table, err bottle.

-----snip----- Mead is stabilized via the same method as wine (k-meta vs k-meta plus sorbate if backsweetening) though some feel that the addition of SO2 is not required due to the properties which honey brings to the table, err bottle.
But it's usually recommended to use both, as the presence of the sulphites stops the possibility of the production of geraniols - as the MLF bacteria can't "operate" (metabolise the sorbate) in environments of more than about 20 ppm - whereas the addition of sulphites i.e. one crushed campden tablet per gallon gives about 50 ppm of sulphites.

Either way, once it's racked again a time or two, just adding further sulphites every second racking is for it's preservative property, but the first addition (presuming 3 rackings for clarity reasons) will have dissipated and have less effect on the flavours from the honey.

Plus, don't forget, using K-meta which is what seems to be usually used in the US and by the pro wine makers, has a lesser affect on flavours - whereas here sulphites are generally Na-meta which can definitely affect flavours if used incorrectly/over done.

nice! thanks for the info. next paycheck Ima pick up like 16 lbs of honey and start my first batch. I've always wanted to try it. a friend of mine that brews mead always brine's his pork in a mead, salt, brown sugar mixture of sorts, and it's always phenomenal.

Latest posts

Back