Help! Added salt/MSG to my brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callemann

Reaction score
Hello!

I was making a mead about a week ago, and at about 1/3 sugar break, I was supposed to add 24g of dap. I was a bit in a hurry and accidentally added 24g of monosodium glutamate(flavour enhancer).

I figured what the h*** and decided to just let ferment and see how it went. I have done a bit of research afterwards, and the addition of glutmate seems not to be an issue. A couple of studies show complete absorbtion and metabolization of glutamate and other amino acids by yeast, even in one of them showing increased yeast viability and ethanol production(utilizing amino nitrogen as nutrient, and carbon skeleton for protein synthesis).

I am, on the other hand, mostly worried about the free sodium addition resulting in a sodium addition of about 0.3g/liter or 14 mmol/l (equivalent to 0,76g table salt/liter-3 teaspoons table salt in a 6 gallon batch minus the chloride).

Do you think this will significantly impact the mead, or will the yeast(now an insane thick layer of 8cm in the bottom of the carboy) absorb excess sodium somehow? And finally, is there anything to be done about it?

This is a definately RDWHAHB moment. There is really nothing to be done but sit back and wait. The salt flavor will probably not be readily noticeable.

This is going to sound insane but I swear its true.

The metabolic pathways in the yeast will turn the msg into ghb (a party/date rape drug).

Look it up I wish I was joking.

That is quite unsettling. Are you really sure about this? Tried to look it up, but only found some other forums discussing it. Do you have any scientific evidence for this? Couldn't find anything spesific on google scholar at least. I found several studies proposing it deaminated and used in regular energy metabolism as a carbon skeleton though.

I calculated the sodium content btw to end up at 300 mg/liter as opposed to 70mg/l in finished white wine. So I am hoping that my massive layer of yeast will at least take up/absorb some of the sodium leaving hopefully not that much more sodium in solution than a finished white wine for instance. (Some types of mineral water contain up to 2g sodium/liter!) And it doesnt really taste anything else than my usual mead musts right now at least(not salty).

Back