Yeast cake on the top!??!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir-Hops-A-Lot

Reaction score
Hey guys,
This is my 20th extract batch
It looks like the first inch is foamy yeastcake type thing
There isn't much on the bottom, where the yeastcake usually resides
I checked it on the weekend and it was like this. Still the same. Doesn't it usually foam at the top and then settle to the bottom.
Beer: LHBS Red Ale 23L with Wyeast Brittish Ale II
Any thoughts?
SHAL

oh by the way it's been almost 3 weeks in the primary. I have hesitated to transfer because I am waiting for the cake at the top to settle to the bottom.
Should I?

After 3 weeks the cake will be at the bottom. Most of the yeast will be there. If you still have foam, the foam contains yeast also, and you could do what is called "top crop" the yeast and scoop the foam to another fermenter. But it is best to do this within a week of pitching wort into a fermenter. The yeast there now are slow to fall and b!astard yeast in my opinion.

I uploaded a pic of the top view
So, "onthekeg", it sounds like you're saying "Get it into the secondary." The only thing I'm not sure of is whether you're saying to take the top foam or get rid of it.
thanks
SHAL

DSCN7971.jpg

It doesnt even look done fermenting, you can see CO2 bubbles under that everywhere.
To have that many i would guess its still active.

Close the lid and wait another week or two.

Good observation FuzzeWuzze. I checked my brew folder and realized that I'm only 2 weeks into fermentation not 3. I was a bit rushed to get this posting up with my wife yelling, "What are you doing? I need a bath for the girls right away!"
I think I'll leave it a couple of days and then put it into the secondary to let it clear until the FG stabilizes.

Also, what temperature range are your fermenting at? From appearances it is still actively fermentating and that is krausen. It looks like you may be fermenting colder than optimal and the yeast are working slowly. I second the cap it back up and let it ride for another week or so.

My last batch, a pumpkin ale, was the first time that the krausen never fell through. I had a good inch and half of krausen sitting on top after three weeks. I rearranged my fridge to be able to put the bucket it in there and cold crashed for just 24 hours....completely gone and at the bottom. Long story short, cold crash if you can.

I've had the same thing happen with BA II and London Ale III. Even when fermentation is done...per SG the Krausen just won't fall. I am not sure why but it doesnt happen every time. It seems to occur less if the inital fermentation is extreemly active. Anyway I just scrape it off when I am ready move it.

I've had the same thing happen with BA II and London Ale III. Even when fermentation is done...per SG the Krausen just won't fall. I am not sure why but it doesnt happen every time. It seems to occur less if the inital fermentation is extreemly active. Anyway I just scrape it off when I am ready move it.

I used London Ale III on my pumpkin when this happened. Cold crash does knock it out.

Ok I'll cold crash it. I have an empty lagering fridge two feet away.
I will let you know what happens.
SHAL

British yeasts in particular are often top croppers. Absolutely normal.

British top croppers do that. Just poke the raking cane through it and siphon the beer out from underneath.

Back