1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next time my plan is to use just enough mash water to cover my grains and do my 6) minute or whatever amount of time I need depending on what my beersmith recipe tells me and theme in a separate container sparge with the remaining water I need so it will be more akin to my larger batch mashtun system than BIAB. Should work better for my setup that way.

I agree. Im not very pleased with the kits. Lack of instructions really gets me. I figured with the style of kit they send out they would help the beginer a bit more. I screwed up on my final hop addition because of the chart they use. It was supposed to be at 15 minutes but I couldnt see the one so it went in at 5.

I agree. Im not very pleased with the kits. Lack of instructions really gets me. I figured with the style of kit they send out they would help the beginer a bit more. I screwed up on my final hop addition because of the chart they use. It was supposed to be at 15 minutes but I couldnt see the one so it went in at 5.

Yeah, I think they have good intentions...and they got me into actually making all grain beer. Even the starter kit isn't totally outrageous. maybe I'll start selling kits....lol.

Hello all, I'm an extract brewer, and I'm sorry if this has been answered, but if I was doing a 1 gallon all-grain (yay apartment living) how much water would I need? Assuming I use say 2.5 pounds of grain.

hoppyhoppyhippo said:
Hello all, I'm an extract brewer, and I'm sorry if this has been answered, but if I was doing a 1 gallon all-grain (yay apartment living) how much water would I need? Assuming I use say 2.5 pounds of grain.

Depending on the beer style, 1.25 qt/lb. I'm too lazy to do math. Expect slightly lower efficiency then 5 gallon all grains

Depending on the beer style, 1.25 qt/lb. I'm too lazy to do math. Expect slightly lower efficiency then 5 gallon all grains

Thanks a bunch, I remembered there was a rule but I forgot to write the amount down. Won't make that mistake again. I have heard of the efficiency lost and I'm also doing BIAB with it as well which I also hear that that hurts the efficiency so I'm gonna have to tinker around a bit with my weights to get the right results.

Thanks a bunch, I remembered there was a rule but I forgot to write the amount down. Won't make that mistake again. I have heard of the efficiency lost and I'm also doing BIAB with it as well which I also hear that that hurts the efficiency so I'm gonna have to tinker around a bit with my weights to get the right results.

For full volume biab, I use between 6-9 qts. Depending on how much grain is there to soak up water.

Hoppy, if you have a recipe in mind, try to put it into one of the online recipe makers and it will help you figure it out or you could post your recipe and we could run it through beersmith or pro mash and help.

Why does batch size factor into efficiency?

Also, along what bell said. You can do anywhere from 1.25 to 1.5 per pound when calculating your water. I tend to do more towards 1.5 since I like longer boils.

If I had a 2.5 pound grain bill I would probably do a 4 quart mash along with a 5 quart sparge...this should give you around 2 gallons in the boil. But like I said, I do longer boils, if your doing 1 hour and are boiling off only .5 gallons, you will have a lot left over...trial and error will be apart of figuring out your system early on.

.......3rd page you guys are slacking ive never seen this post fall that far

well my 2 northern brewer kits came in....woohoo i ordered the honey porter and the honey ale. and 6 of there 1 gallon jug screw caps so i have extras.

Also i put my mash tun up for sale.
OMG GREATEST THING EVER

12.3% A bit hot, but damn does it taste good. There was also more yeast in that little bucket than I have seen in some of my 5 gallon batches, haha.

228205_10101986191079088_124543715_n.jpg

Cool! I'm doing one around Christmas to give away next Christmas. Probably 4 lb of 2 row, and 4 ounces of Biscuit or Amber.

JollyIsTheRoger said:
12.3% A bit hot, but damn does it taste good. There was also more yeast in that little bucket than I have seen in some of my 5 gallon batches, haha.

How do you describe a barley wine? I've never tried one and can make a batch for the cost of a bottle. Any way to describe it?

How do you describe a barley wine? I've never tried one and can make a batch for the cost of a bottle. Any way to describe it?

Basically a really strong, really flavorful, really malty beer(at the English one is). Mine is really light for a normal barleywine, so its getting called a blonde barleywine. There were 4.75# of grain and 5 oz of corn sugar in mine and looking at it now I probably should have left the corn sugar out because of how far the yeast attenuated. I was anticipating the yeast slowing down earlier and wanted to thin it out a bit, but they kept chugging at its at 1.019 after two weeks, down from 1.106.

JollyIsTheRoger said:
Basically a really strong, really flavorful, really malty beer(at the English one is). Mine is really light for a normal barleywine, so its getting called a blonde barleywine. There were 4.75# of grain and 5 oz of corn sugar in mine and looking at it now I probably should have left the corn sugar out because of how far the yeast attenuated. I was anticipating the yeast slowing down earlier and wanted to thin it out a bit, but they kept chugging at its at 1.019 after two weeks, down from 1.106.

Sounds deeeelish! Another one to brew thx

hey divrguy... barleywine also has an incredibly long ferment time, and time in the bottle (think months, not weeks).

it's worth the wait, but it's a LONG wait

dadshomebrewing said:
hey divrguy... barleywine also has an incredibly long ferment time, and time in the bottle (think months, not weeks).

it's worth the wait, but it's a LONG wait

That's the beauty of small batches. It won't really take up much room. When it's bottled ...is the bottle conditioning temp the same as others? I could easily put it in a 65 degree area I have for a year. I'm going to have to look at some recipes and start trying to figure out what I might like.

Also, I now have a pick of 2 stouts, 3 pales and a Belgian. I really need to make another Amber and Porter. I also have an oatmeal ill be doing tomorrow. Love to brew!

cheesecake said:
Just picked up my first set of buckets. 18 of them to be exact

wow, you go cheese! That's a lotta buckets!

thats a heap of buckets. Brewed a iipa 2 gallons in the mrbeer fermenter for ez dry hopping.
Mr beer fermenters would be great for 2 gallons batches.

And I need more fermenters, but 16 is just ridiculous. I want to brew so much and have to limit myself right now, especially since I still need to buy christmas gifts.

mr beer fermenters are great for 2 gallon batches

Im going to order up some grommets for these that i plan on using.

I'm realizing the bad thing about that barleywine finishing so low is that now I am curious as to how far I can take it. Just wrote a recipe for a 30 plato (~1.130) Russian Imperial, just to see if I could go that high.

JollyIsTheRoger said:
I'm realizing the bad thing about that barleywine finishing so low is that now I am curious as to how far I can take it. Just wrote a recipe for a 30 plato (~1.130) Russian Imperial, just to see if I could go that high.

The only problem with those really high abv brews is that I can't drink more of them...

Yeah, you do have to be careful. I've got a batch of blueberry wine that finished at 18.7%. Unless I want to get totally wasted I don't dare drink more then 1 bottle... and I'm 305lb.

Hmm, that reminds me, I'm down to 3 bottles of it. I think I'll put together some more this weekend.

Yeah, you do have to be careful. I've got a batch of blueberry wine that finished at 18.7%. Unless I want to get totally wasted I don't dare drink more then 1 bottle... and I'm 305lb.

Hmm, that reminds me, I'm down to 3 bottles of it. I think I'll put together some more this weekend.

could you please post that recipe?

cheesecake said:
could you please post that recipe?

Yes, is that a barley wine? If so, that might be would I was looking for. I love blueberries and have wanted to do something with them

Latest posts

Back