dry hopping in the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried dropping a hop cone in the bottle when bottling?

I'm thinking it might require straining when pouring, and you couldn't store it 'too' long before drinking.. but I was just wondering if anyone ever tried it and what the results were...

I haven't tried it but I would be suspicious since people have reported a grassy flavor when dry hopping too long. At the same time, I visited a brewery that puts a hop bag into every keg of their IPA that stays there until the keg is emptied and returned. Why not try it with a limited number of bottles of your next batch and see what the results are. Make sure you leave some for a couple months so you see how they age and then report back on your findings.

I dry hopped a RyePA in the bottle. You are right, you dont want to let it sit too long or you will get those weird flavors, but a short term hopping is just fine. The cones are a bit annoying when it comes time to pour and imbibe, but the flavor is really pronounced.

I would also recommend throwing a cone into your glass before you pour, it adds a unique depth to the beer.

I dry hopped a RyePA in the bottle. You are right, you dont want to let it sit too long or you will get those weird flavors, but a short term hopping is just fine. The cones are a bit annoying when it comes time to pour and imbibe, but the flavor is really pronounced.

I would also recommend throwing a cone into your glass before you pour, it adds a unique depth to the beer.

After perusing a couple other threads, it doesn't sound like a good idea in the bottle... I was after the aroma as well as the flavor/finish... why I was thinking about the bottle....

But in the glass is an idea I hadn't thought of.. I sometimes use a hops randall, and that works good, but doesn't give the 'aroma' I'm after... Then again, I've never tried bottling through the randall.. might try that...

Definitely gonna try the in the glass method.. thanks for the tip...

Back