Extech PID controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive used a lot of controllers in my day and that one is a pretty simple one. depending on what you want to use it for it should work fine. just be aware of the output specs so you dont try to drive something with it that will blow the output. you might need to run an isolation relay between its output and device being controlled.

Planning on using one PID for a 4500W element in a BK/HLT and one PID for a 2000W element for my RIMS. Will have 40A SSR between PID and heating elements.

What the control input to ssr specs. You only have 20 miliamps at less than 600 ohms impedence on output of pid. You need to make sure the ssr control inputs dont exceed that. If they do isolate it with a relay and seperate power supply.

What the control input to ssr specs. You only have 20 miliamps at less than 600 ohms impedence on output of pid. You need to make sure the ssr control inputs dont exceed that. If they do isolate it with a relay and seperate power supply. It is usually a good practice to isolate it anyway to save pid from spikes etc.

So it looks like both Extech and Auber PID's have an output mode of 12VDC. The SSR I'm planning to us is a Auber 40A, which has a input of 3-32VDC. Looks like I should be OK in regards to the SSR control inputs. Thanks.

As long as your ssr is inside the current limit it should be fine. You can have a 12vdc output from pid and a 12 vdc input to ssr but ssr could have a 30milliamp min draw which will blow a 20milliamp output of your pid. Id check that as well.

this Extech PID (48VFL11)?

48VFL11 ....1/16 DIN Temperature PID Controller with one relay output
48VFL13 ....1/16 DIN Temperature PID Controller with 4-20mA output
96VFL11 ....1/4 DIN Temperature PID Controller with two relay outputs
96VFL13 ....1/4 DIN Temperature PID Controller with 4-20mA output

The model# you selected appears to have relay output - not SSR control output.

Are you sure that's the one you want?

P-J said:
The model# you selected appears to have relay output - not SSR control output.

Are you sure that's the one you want?

Dang, I already ordered this PID. I'm new to electronics and thought relay output included solid state relays. Did a little more looking into it after your post and saw relay output does not refer to SSRs. Was Trying to use one of my companies approved vendors rather than getting Auber approved. Guess I'll need to send the PIDs back. Thanks for pointing that out.

Sorry i should of saw that on data sheet. If you have an external power source to drive the ssr you can still use it though.

allclene said:
Sorry i should of saw that on data sheet. If you have an external power source to drive the ssr you can still use it though.

How would I do that exactly? Is adding an external power source relatively easy solution, or would it be better to get a PID that controls SSRs?

Can't this use a power source like a doorbell transformer or even a cell phone or computer power supply? I have the Aubers, currently used for their relay, but was hoping to eventually use them to drive SSRs if/when I switch from natural gas burners to an all-electric rig.

What ever your pid needs as power you can get a power supply for it from just about anywhere including one of those plug in universal cords just cut the end off it as long as it has the right rating. Wire positive of power source to ssr and wire ground from ssr through pid to power source ground.

If I'm making a controller box with a 240V/30amp power input for powering the PIDs and heating elements, would it work to use the same power input for powering the SSRs?

Arn't the pids 120? if you can get if down to the right voltage it should be fine.

P-J quoted the PID input rating.

Below are the specs for the SSR I'm planning on using.

FEATURES

10-75 amps, 330 Vac max
50-75 amps, 660 Vac max
Single phase, zero crossing
LED input indicator
Clear safety cover included
Panel mount
DC and AC input versions
Superior surge survival
EN60947-4-3 compliant
UL recognized, CSA listed

Specifications
Product Type Relays
Brand Nedco
Model SVDA/3V50
Max current (Amps) 50
Manufacturer number SVDA3V50
Control power (VDC) 4 to 32
Load power (VAC) 24 to 330
Input voltage (type) DC
CE Compliance Yes
Input logic ON >4 VDC/3.5 mA, 32 VDC/8 mA max. current limited, OFF <1 VDC
Solid state Yes

Sounds like ssr main power can be ran off your 220vac but you are gonna need a dc source to opperate its logic. Since your plc is relay type you need a dc power source to hook through the pld to ssr logic input (or most commonly known as control input). I would use a voltage source thats right in the middle and common like a 12vdc power transformer plug in. Your current is in the milliamps so it should work fine with one.

OK. I'll try to take a stab at diagramming this. I&#8217;m sure my diagram will be a complete disaster, so maybe you guys can give me some feedback once I get it together. Here is what I&#8217;m going to try to diagram for my Brutus 20 electric setup:

Power input: 30 amp GFCI 4 conductor 30amp receptacle
BK/HLT: 4500W (240V) Element with LED button or switch to turn on/off element
RIMS: 2000W (240V) with LED button or switch to turn on/off element
1-Emergency shut off
1-pump with push button LED turn on/off
2-PIDs (one controlling the 4500W element and the other controlling the 2000W element) with relay output (Extech PID 48VFL11) controlling 50amp SSR (using transformer to 12VDC) with LED push button to turn on/off PIDs

This will take me some time to draw up these schematics considering I&#8217;m a complete noob, but I&#8217;ll see what I can come up with.

Back