How many gas valves can a doorbell transformer safely operate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazydave

Reaction score
I'm working on acquiring all of the parts for my brutus build and picked up a tri-voltage doorbell transformer from Home Depot to control the gas valves. I will also be using it to power some 22mm LED indicator lights on my control panel.

The question is, can one of these transformers safely operate three Honeywell valves and 4 24VAC LED indicator lights? I don't see a VA rating on the transformer anyplace, so I'm hoping that someone has a little experience with it.

Thanks!

The white and black leads are for 120V use, cap the red wire, and the orange wire separately, not together, as they are not used for 120V operation and will have power on the leads.

Awesome. Thanks!
I usually pick up electronics and wiring pretty easily, I just haven't dealt with transformers a whole lot.

I'll go ahead and order that one and return the doorbell transformer to HD.

For future reference add all of the amps. ,milliamps and line draws and double that number. This will give pretty close to the max current you could experience if all items were operated at the same moment. That will also give you a good safety margin to go by also. Ohms law provides an equation to determine Power, Amperage and Capacity. Hope this helps.
Bob

Back