Hop Substitute???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopfan

Nice Beaver....
Reaction score
I have a chocolate stout recipe that I want to brew this week. It calls for Hallertauer hops. Don't have any and LHBS is also out. I do have Saaz, Cascade, Perle & Sorachi. I've not brewed this type of recipe before so not sure what to expect in a substitute. I'm assuming that Sorachi is out due to the heavy citrus tones. Thinking that Saaz or Perle would be fairly neutral substitutes. Any advice?

Are they for bittering? Most stouts don't have late hop additions, so I assume bittering. If so, it isn't a huge deal which but I would stat away from ones that have strong flavors like cascade.

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, it is just for bittering, I have no late hops additions for this one. I was tinkering with theh idea of using Perle since it has a slight mint background to it, but I'll just go with Saaz for this go-round.

If just for bittering then just use anything you have. You wont have much flavour coming through anyway. Just match for IBUs and you should be fine.

Back