Oatmeal Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khyber

Reaction score
Anyone here ever done an extract Oatmeal Stout? If so, would you care to share the recipe with me? I'll have to scale it up to 7.5 gallons for the size of my carboy, but please share if you have one.

Right- you have to mash the oats. It's easy, though.

Here's a recipe that I've done as an AG (this is converted to partial-mash for you):

Jamil's oatmeal stout:
OG 1.055
FG 1.016
IBU 36
Preboil volume 7 gallons

(Jamil's recipe assumes a full boil. If you're doing a partial boil, you'll need to adjust the hopping rate slightly. Add approximately 20% more hops to get the correct IBUs. If you're boiling 3 gallons, use about 2.5 ounces of EKG, or use some software to calculate the IBUs. I assumed a three gallon boil when I calculated it for you. If you're doing a full boil, 1.75 ounces is about right.)

5.5 pounds Pale Liquid Extract (British, if you can find it)

2 pounds maris otter malt (or other basemalt)
1 lbs Oats, Flaked
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt
12.0 oz Victory Malt
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt
8.0 oz Roasted Barley

Put grains in a grain bag and add to 1.75 gallons 165 degree water, to maintain a temperature of 153-156 degrees. Stir well, to thoroughly wet all grains. Leave for 1 hour, maintaining the temperature. Lift out the grain bag, and pour 2 gallons of 170 degree water over. Bring up to boil volume, and add extract. Bring to a boil, and add LME. Bring to a boil again, and add hops.

2.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (60 min) Hops 27.3 IBU

1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (or Wyeast 1968, or WLP002)

There's an oatmeal stout in my recipe pulldown that I am very happy with. You could easily substitute malt extract for the Marris Otter and Vienna. You might miss out on a bit of breadiness, but not if you go with British extract.

TL

I have done this one with decent results, hope it helps..

Name: Oatmeal Stout
Yield: 5 Gallons

5.0 lbs Unhopped Light Dry Malt Extract
1.0 lbs Flaked Oats
.75 lbs Munich Malt (Crushed)
.75 lbs Chocolate Malt (Crushed)
.75 lbs Roasted Barley (Crushed)
.25 lbs Crystal 60L Malt (Crushed)
1.0 oz Tettnang Hops
.40 oz Cluster Hops

Place crushed grains and flaked oats into steeping bags and steep both bags in 5 gallons of 150 degree water for 45 minutes

Remove the steeping bag and add the malt extract then bring to a 60 minute boil.

At the beginning of the boil add .75 oz of Tettnang Hops

At 30 minutes into the boil add .40 oz Cluster and .25 Tettnang Hops

At 40 minutes into the boil add Irish Moss (Optional)

At 45 minutes into the boil place your cleaned wort chiller into the brew to sterilize it. (Optional)

Once chilled I used Wyeast Irish Ale yeast #1084

7 -10 Days Primary and 7 - 10 Days Secondary

(Note: If bottling this will take longer then 3 weeks to carb in bottles)

Thanks guys! I forgot to mention that yes, i can do a full 7 gal boil.. I appreciate the conversion work. Having just 7.5 gal carboys to work with (we have 4 of them) is nice, cause you get more beer, but sometimes the volume is a bit tricky.

we went with:
1lb munich 20/bonlander
6 oz roasted
6 oz choc. malt
1lb oats
steeped for 1 hr in 165*
then rinsed with 170* - 2 gals and brought full volume up to 7 gals

then added 6.6 lbs of light extract and
3lbs DME

boiled 1 hr
added 2oz bittering hops (cluster)
15 mins left added 1.0 oz brewers gold aau 9.7%

chilled to 65* and pitched windsor yeast
OG was 1.070

opinions?

btw... a 7.5 gallon carboy is just fine for a 5 gallon batch. Actually, the headspace helps avoid blowoff.

Latest posts

Back