ghosts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

do you believe in ghosts?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Never seen any...
fruit.gif
Isn't that kind of a
fruit.gif
trick (or treat)
fruit.gif
question?
fruit.gif

Ralph Nader?

I voted no, on account of I've never seen one and I figure it's something you have to see to believe.

I didn't, until I rented a house in college that had some WEIRD stuff going on.

-Bathroom door locked itself from the inside while I was inside
-We heard glass being broken in the basement for several minutes one night. When we went downstairs there was no broken glass.
-Someone pounded on my roomate's door in the middle of the night. Everyone else was sleeping (could have been a prank, but everyone swore it wasn't them)
-I woke up in the middle of the night and clearly heard someone breathing loudly next to my bed. When I looked over, no one was there, but I still heard it.

There were other examples, but pretty much all along the same line. I don't know that it was a "ghost" in the sense that it was the spirit of a dead person, but something was definitely not normal about that place.

One more (and I thought twice about posting this, because it hits close to home). Three members of my extended family claim to have seen my paternal grandfather after he passed away. My grandmother (his wife) said she walked out into the kitchen and saw him reading the newspaper, my aunt said he showed up dressed in his Marine Corps dress blues (very odd, since she's a big time pacifist and they never really saw eye to eye), and my sister woke up the night before her wedding and said he was sitting on the end of the bed smiling at her.

Weird.

See, I don't believe in them, but they frighten me so much that alemonkey's rather tame stories give me the heebie jeebies.

*shiver*

alemonkey said:
...I woke up in the middle of the night and clearly heard someone breathing loudly next to my bed. When I looked over, no one was there, but I still heard it...
I had a similar experience in an apartment I once lived in, but in my case the bed rose off the floor several times...while I was in it!

Found out it could have been the spirit of the previous tenant who recently died...that same night...the guy didn't like women...somehow he kept breaking a lot of my ex's knick-knack's, etc., until I confronted him about it. The damage ended, but my ex thought I became possessed because I went into a deep depression and never wanted to leave the apartment whenever I was not at work. I think she was right for a while. Then we moved.:D ;)

There is so much energy in the human body. Anyone who knows physics or biology knows that energy can only be converted or transfered but NEVER destroyed. Our spirit/life force/energy has to be converted into something else after we die...maybe just a hippie's view of things...but I prefer to believe that our soul/spirit lives on long after our physical body dies

I thought the poll results would be the opposite.

I believe the mind is a very, very powerful thing and that while good also backfires on us in making us believe things that aren't real. On the flip side I do agree we have energy and our energy is dispersed when we die. Whether that means it's consumed by grub worms or floats around haunting people who knows. I hope haunting people because I have a list of people I wouldn't mind following around and doing small things to piss them off, like hid their remote everyday.

TxBrew said:
Whether that means it's consumed by grub worms or floats around haunting people who knows. I hope haunting people because I have a list of people I wouldn't mind following around and doing small things to piss them off, like hid their remote everyday.
OMG. I must have pissed someone off in the past. I can never find my remote.:drunk:

Here are my experiences:
1. When I was young, probably about 8 or so, I was in my backyard close to the house. We had a swingset down in the far left corner of the lot, if I had to guess I would say it was about 150 feet away. I saw my brother throw a rock into the woods behind the swingset, he turned and looked at me and then disapeared. (my brother is alive).
2. When I was in college, we rented an old house. SWMBO and I were the only ones home at the time, my other 3 roommates were all away. We would always hear the front door and screen door open and close like someone was coming in, I went downstairs and there would be no one there.
Also, in our school's dorms, we would here what sounded like marbles dropping on our ceiling, you could call the room upstairs and ask them if they dropped anything but they would say no. You could also here it hitting your ceiling even if you lived on the top floor. In another dorm, cd's would fly off the shelf for no reason. This dorm was a converted hotel that apparently was the site of a lot of mob hits.
3. I was watching tv one night, SWMBO had gone to bed. I looked over into our dining room and saw a black fog up by the ceiling fan that soon disapeared.
4. I was sleeping about a month ago, I was on my back and my right leg was extended straight out, toes pointing toward the ceiling and I did not have a blanket on. Something wacked me on the big toe enough to wake me up. It felt like if you take the palm of your hand and make a "timeout" gesture but with a bit more force.
5. Finally, and this is the most hokey one, if we leave the blinds to our back door open, I often think I see someone walking around on our back patio and it always seems to look like a Confederate soldier. I always just catch a glimpse so I can't say for sure but we do live in Richmond, VA.....

When I was in my early teens I went to sleep (I did that most every night :D ). This particular night I had my door open and there was light spilling into my room from the hall. I was just laying there when I felt a thump on the bed. I looked down and saw a lump under the sheets by my foot. I figured one of the two cats jumped under the sheets or something. Then it came up towards me, brushing against my leg. I reached down to pet the cat and the sheets went flat.

I laid there for a few minutes kind of freaked out but expecting to see the cat run out of my room. I just stared at the doorway. When I didn't see a cat I got up and, closed the door and turned the light on. There was no cat in my room. I went into the living room and both cats were sleeping on the couch while my mom was watching TV. :confused:

Doors would open/close and electrical items would turn off/on in that house all the time.:confused:

todd_k said:
Here are my experiences:
1. When I was young, probably about 8 or so, I was in my backyard close to the house. We had a swingset down in the far left corner of the lot, if I had to guess I would say it was about 150 feet away. I saw my brother throw a rock into the woods behind the swingset, he turned and looked at me and then disapeared. (my brother is alive).
2. When I was in college, we rented an old house. SWMBO and I were the only ones home at the time, my other 3 roommates were all away. We would always hear the front door and screen door open and close like someone was coming in, I went downstairs and there would be no one there.
Also, in our school's dorms, we would here what sounded like marbles dropping on our ceiling, you could call the room upstairs and ask them if they dropped anything but they would say no. You could also here it hitting your ceiling even if you lived on the top floor. In another dorm, cd's would fly off the shelf for no reason. This dorm was a converted hotel that apparently was the site of a lot of mob hits.
3. I was watching tv one night, SWMBO had gone to bed. I looked over into our dining room and saw a black fog up by the ceiling fan that soon disapeared.
4. I was sleeping about a month ago, I was on my back and my right leg was extended straight out, toes pointing toward the ceiling and I did not have a blanket on. Something wacked me on the big toe enough to wake me up. It felt like if you take the palm of your hand and make a "timeout" gesture but with a bit more force.
5. Finally, and this is the most hokey one, if we leave the blinds to our back door open, I often think I see someone walking around on our back patio and it always seems to look like a Confederate soldier. I always just catch a glimpse so I can't say for sure but we do live in Richmond, VA.....

See, I've never had any experiences even close to that. I think it depends on whether or not you are open to the idea of ghosts in order to see them.

todd_k said:

Forgive me for being daft or for bringing up a bad memory, but I don't get it. Did you mean to say that your brother isn't alive? Or am I really missing something?

ayrton said:
Forgive me for being daft or for bringing up a bad memory, but I don't get it. Did you mean to say that your brother isn't alive? Or am I really missing something?

No my brother is still alive, that's what was so weird about it. I saw him down there throwing the rock but then he just vanished. I know I was young and now that I look back I think maybe I was dreaming but I remember that at the time, I made a strong effort to get the fact into my head that I was awake and that was not a dream because I knew after time went by, I would start to doubt whether or not it really happened.

I think I've seen #9 before and I have a feeling it was faked. Even though I believe in this kind of stuff, I have a hard time believing all of these photos. Sort of like that famous Loch Ness Monster pic or the Bigfoot video. Too many fakeys out there.
I do like to watch Most Haunted on the Travel Channel. They've been doing a live show for Halloween, tonight is the last one (it should be live here in the US at 4:00pm EST). I find some of the stuff that happens to be interesting but again, there's always that doubt about whether it is real or not.

My house borders a giant cemetary. Before I built my wood fence I would go out to have a smoke and watch a funeral. Maybe some ghosts will come out tonight and we can have a beer then they can tell me funny jokes circa 1870's.

I'm wondering if the high percentage of respondants who believe they have seen a ghost has some correlation with the drinking that we all do...

TxBrew said:
My house borders a giant cemetary. Before I built my wood fence I would go out to have a smoke and watch a funeral. Maybe some ghosts will come out tonight and we can have a beer then they can tell me funny jokes circa 1870's.

Make sure you ask for some good recipes! Think of all the delicious beer recipes that have been lost to the ages!

Even though I said I don't believe, that doesn't mean I don't like suspending my disbelief long enough to be scared. Isn't feeling of your blood running cold awesome!?

"I don't believe in ghosts, but I'm afraid of them."

#1, Do I believe in ghosts? Yeah, I do.

#2, Have I ever seen or heard one? No way.

#3, Why do I believe then? Because I've been in weird situations where I KNOW there's SOMETHING weird going on, but can't identify or prove it.

And trust me, I'm really reluctant to post the following, and I've never posted these anywhere else, or shown them to anyone other than my family. All I can state are the facts.

(And why am I showing them here? I figure screw it, it's been a couple of years now and if you guys wouldn't dig this no one would. Plus of course, the bond of beer. :drunk: )

Long story short, the radio station I was with at the time hosted a "Haunted Decatur" tour shortly before Halloween. Last stop, (of course) Greenwood Cemetary. I've been there more than a few occasions during the day, and it's got a weird vibe then. At night, REALLY weird. Regardless, we were going thru and doing the blah blah blah and I took pics all the while. (Kodak EasyShare DX4330, 3.1 MP) We stopped on this hill overlooking where a mausoleum used to stand. I walked up a bit away from the group, (about 30 people) and took picture #1. I looked at the pic I had taken and looked around me, saw no one near me, and then took pic #2. Approximately 30 seconds time elapsed between pics #1 and #2.

It's not cig smoke, I wasn't smoking and the nearest person to me was at least 15 feet away and she wasn't smoking either. It's not fog it was a clear cool night, no mist or moisture of any kind. Yeah, in the lights in the distance you can see that the camera had moved but the stones in the foreground are clear.

Judge for yourself I don't know what the heck it was. And FWIW the only thing I've done to the pics is to resize them and add the red txt at the bottom, in case I see the damn things showing up elsewhere on the net.... :D

Ize

That is weird. I don't know what that could be. What are the lights in the background from?

Yeah Todd, it is kind of strange. I still don't really know if it's a glitch in the digital camera or something else. Glitches usually show up as "orbs" tho, and that's no orb...

The lights in the distance are from a shopping center across the lake.

Ize

What is more strange is that the "fog" covers everything, foreground and background so it appears to be right in front of you. I have a similiar photo from Petersberg Battlefield, not as good as yours through. I'll see if I can find it tonight.

Am I the only one who sees the faces in picture #1? Jesus, my hair is standing up ! There's three faces in that picture, but the only clear one is the gentleman on the right. He has a very full mustache and sad eyes. They're sad but piercing. He's in the upper right hand corner of the picture, and his face takes up that corner. He has his head tilted to his right. I hope this is like seeing a shape in the clouds kind of thing. That's creepy !

GreenwoodRevised1103106.jpg

Are you talking about this? I don't see anything else.

Ok, so now I know it's not just me. The main one I see is just to the left of the tree in your circle Todd, (thx BTW! :mug: ) Long face, almost looks like he has some kind of bowler hat... Weirdness.

Ize

I'm no Paint Shop expert, still having troubles getting a good zoom on it and still be able to post it.

Ize

Try inverting color maybe you will be better able to see the image. And yes I saw something at the very first glance, the hair stood up on the back of my neck, now I am closing the thread and not returning to it. Dang now I got to sleep with the lights on, hell may even have to call my mom. Stop freakin' me out folks!:D

if you save the photo to your desktop, you can see the detail in the mist a lot better. I will try the photoshop thing tonight but I'm not that good at that kind of stuff.

Back