Near Blowoff with Edworts Apfewein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSeibel

Reaction score
Guys,

I made a batch of Edworts Apfelwein on THursday and by Sunday I was getting alot of foam in the airlock. I made a 6 gallon batch and left about 4-5 inches airspace. Fearing a catastrophe I installed a blowoff tube and now seems to be under control. Is this normal. I know on Edworts recipe it says not to worry about this as it doesnt form a krauzen, however mine has formed a very thick layer of foam...to the top of the carboy. Here is what I did.

6 gallons pastuerized, no additives, no sugar apple juice. (6.5 Gallon carboy)
1kg dextrose
1 pack Lalvin EC-1118 yeast

Temp is about 21 Degrees C.

Thanks

Dave

Edwort used Montrachet to ferment his Apfelwein not EC-1118, that must have made a difference. I used EC-1118 and although Lalvin's website says it produces "low foam" I left a generous amount of head space because I had never used the stuff before. It didn't create quite as much foam as yours must have, but I'm only making 1100mL of the stuff and it probably produced 3/4 of an inch or so at peak production.

That would be the ec 1118, ed doesn't get any krauzen because of his yeast choice. Don't worry about it, it will be fine.

Yeah, I've used Munton's Ale Yeast and Montrachet, and never gotten much more than a thin layer of bubbles. I'd guess it's the specific yeast strain you used.

Good call installing the blowoff tube. Your apfelwein will be fine.

I am going to do pretty much the same thing this weekend. Being as we are using 6 gallons pastuerized, no additives, no sugar apple juice do I need to worry about campden? If so when and why?

I am going to do pretty much the same thing this weekend. Being as we are using 6 gallons pastuerized, no additives, no sugar apple juice do I need to worry about campden? If so when and why?

no, because the juice is pastureized. You would use compden tablets if you were using a fresh pressed cider and trying to kill off wild yeasts to give your domestic strain a headstart.

But fresh pressed cider is rare these days. Highly worth it. I like using honey with it.

Latest posts

Back