Beverage grade vs industrial grade gases

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biermann

Reinvented Biermann
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
:confused:
Ok, I have CO2 cylinders, but no supplier. I've called welding supply shops, and most of them "sell" 75 lb cylinders of CO2, but none seem to want to commit to filling my piddly 5 pounders, as they cannot guarantee "beverage grade."

Could someone give me some hints here?

Quite a few of us get our CO2 from welding supply companies. I've asked the same question about industrial grade verses beverage grade and I've never gotten a good answer.
I'm surprised that you can't find a company who will fill your bottles. I use AirGas and they have been quite accommodating. (I exchange bottles instead of having mine filled.) You might see if there is an AirGas distributor near you.
I do know that my beers are very good with the industrial grade.:mug:

Also, some home brew shops fill bottles.

Thanks. . .there is an AirGas supplier nearby, but they are in the crack-whore neighborhood. I'll give them a call, and go down during the mid-day, and maybe pack some protection:D (afterall, beer is worth it)

I've just heard bad tales of industrial grade gases spewing out solvents, being contaminated with other gases, making beer taste like oil, etc etc. But if most people seem to have luck using industrial gas, then I'll give it a whirl.

Biermann said:
Thanks. . .there is an AirGas supplier nearby, but they are in the crack-whore neighborhood. I'll give them a call, and go down during the mid-day, and maybe pack some protection:D (afterall, beer is worth it)

Sounds like my old neighborhood in Peoria! Top of the hill, Callander and Western, not far from the German hotel.

Or are you talking more on the Adams Street area, by Alexanders?

Ahhhh....good old days....

Cheesefood said:
Sounds like my old neighborhood in Peoria! Top of the hill, Callander and Western, not far from the German hotel.

Or are you talking more on the Adams Street area, by Alexanders?

Ahhhh....good old days....
:D Didn't know you used to haunt Peoria. . . Did you go to Bradley??

Yeah, the AirGas dealer is down off of SW Adams (just off of very far southern Western Ave in Peoria). Till recently, I used to live in the Madison Manor subdivision over by West Peoria off of Sherman Ave (not far from Callander). We just moved over off of 116 by Germantown Hills. Lot more quiet, bigger house, dedicated brew room, no crack whores, etc.

Biermann said:

Don't be dissin' crack whores, my mom's a crack whore!

I mean... uh, nevermind.

Biermann said:
:D Didn't know you used to haunt Peoria. . . Did you go to Bradley??

Yeah, the AirGas dealer is down off of SW Adams (just off of very far southern Western Ave in Peoria). Till recently, I used to live in the Madison Manor subdivision over by West Peoria off of Sherman Ave (not far from Callander). We just moved over off of 116 by Germantown Hills. Lot more quiet, bigger house, dedicated brew room, no crack whores, etc.

Yep, Bradley class of 1997.

G-town hills is NICE. I used to take 116 to get to and from home and school. That whole area has really boomed. I was there about 4 years ago and couldn't believe how much had been built between Roanoake and P-town.

Funny you joke about the crack whores. I remember on New Years Day 1997, I was driving to work (Pere Marquette) and I was right outside my neighborhood when a skanky ho flagged me down for a ride. She seemed clean and wasn't looking for business, just needed a ride home so I gave her a ride since it was on my way. It was fun listening to her tell me about her night.

I get all kinds of them in the ER at OSF. I had one with a used prophylactic hanging out of her bra, leaking all over . . . Good thing I had a resident that I could assign the case to.

And people wonder why I drink :drunk:

Anyway, so I'm taking that I should go for the industrial gas, and brave the crack whores. . . .

I wonder if you could get in with a local bar owner who would let you trade tanks with him and pick them up when they get their shipments, etc.

I would think you may have more luck at the really local smalller joints. Just my .02

I suspect most bar owners use 20-40 pound bottles, not fives. I've always gone to welding supply places. Welding isn't very forgiving, so suppliers tend to be careful.

Well, I went with the industrial gas with no ill effects. . . .now. . .next question. ..

I put the CO2 cylinder in the fridge with the keg with the high pressure reading at 1000. . .after it had cooled, it read 500. Did the pressure go down because of temp, or because there is a leak in the regulator?? I turned off the regulator just in case...

There is a direct pressure/temperature relationship for CO2. The pressure will stay the same in the cylinder, at a given temperature, until all the liquid is vaporized. At the point when only vapor exists, the pressure will drop rapidly. Here is a chart that shows the pressure/temperature relationship for CO2. 500-600 psi is just about right for the average fridge temp.

John

CO2_liquid_gas_chart.gif

Cool. . .

You know, I was a chemist once. . . but I'd never dealt with pressurized gases in an enclosed space, but it made sense that if you cooled a compressed cylinder, then the pressure would drop. I turned off the gas, left the regulator pressurized to see if it dropped, and it didn't. ;)

Biermann said:
Cool. . .

You know, I was a chemist once. . . but I'd never dealt with pressurized gases in an enclosed space, but it made sense that if you cooled a compressed cylinder, then the pressure would drop. I turned off the gas, left the regulator pressurized to see if it dropped, and it didn't. ;)
Unless your system has a leak at the regulator or the hoses, then the pressure will remain the same on the gauge regardless of whether the valve on the tank is open or not. That's because the regulator still has the pressurized gas in it.

Not positive about C02, but oxygen is sold in aviation, medical, and welders grade. There used to be a difference in quality, but now it all goes the same process and filters. Still sell the same grades though, must need to keep up their liability insurance.

Well, to answer one of my questions. . I've ruled out a leak in the hoses or regulator. . . .

And my beer is carbed now very satisfactorily, and there is no ill tastes from the industrial grade CO2. I got my tank filled at an AirGas dealer-- even though they are in the bad part of town where I live, you can't beat their service and friendliness. $17 to fill a 5 pounder.

Al, have you used this before??

So far, the draft system is working great, and I haven't noticed a bit of off flavor from the gas. I did get a bit over-carbed, though, so I backed down the regulator.

Lots of head. . .which, based on the situation, is not entirely a bad thing. :D

So would there be anything wrong with getting say a 20-lb CO2 tank and just using that? I'm curious as to why people seem to prefer the 5-lb tanks. Doesn't it cost the same to refill (or close to the same) anyway?

Since you don't have to worry about the CO2 going bad with age, it seems the larger tank would be more economical. Please enlighten me.

Well, a lot of people put their tank in the fridge with their keg or home made kegerator. 5 pounders fit pretty well. I doubt a 20 pounder would fit all that well, and may necessitate drilling more holes in the fridge to run gas lines.

At least that's what makes sense to me, anyway.

Well I've got a 5 lbs tank and got it filled June 23rd (I know for sure, because I took it on a golf trip with me)......Anyway....I dropped it off in the morning, picked it up on my way home from work and they charged me $21 canadian.

Seemed Ok to me.

I don't deal with praxair or liquid air, because we only have depots in town. They have to be sent away to be filled and that can take a couple of days.

IGOR

Biermann said:
Not a bad idea. Have you found this route to be cheaper??

I also get my tanks filled at a fire extinguisher supplier. They fill while I wait. In and out in 10 minutes. $12 to fill a 10 lb tank.

John

There are several places here where you can get your tank filled while you wait, which makes it convenient. You can also exchange, but I have a brand new tank, and I'd prefer not to exchange it for some old scuzzy tank if I can help it.

Yup!!

I have my own tank!! You can pay a monthly fee and just pick a new one up when ever you need one, but for some reason I purchased one.

I have two tanks, actually. . .My OLD tank is out of spec, and would require inspection-- It would be cheaper to pay the fee, and exchange, rather than get the thing inspected. So, I'm stuck with an OLD, worthless tank. Don't know what to do with it. I figured if I could find some sap with a CO2 cascade for filling paintball, maybe I could get him to fill it. Till then, it is filling its role as an inadequate doorstop. :drunk:

Back